• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

sumatra driftwood soaking

neelhound

Hi i bought an 15" piece of sumatra d/w from ae and its labelled that it needs at least 48hr soaking with a w/c 3 times. Im boiling it in an old bath now and i usually dont soak wood for that long if i use high temps is it ok if i take it out tommorow as the willow moss i was putting on it arrived already...?
thanks

I think it might be more a case of will it sink. I've used sumatra wood I've bought from an local fish shop which I've rinsed with boiling water and used straight away. Still got it in a tank now and never had any ill effects. Boiling it should kill of anything too nasty and maybe get rid of some tanins, which of course is the other problem of using wood straight away without a pre-soak...

tannins should be ok as i have geos and a goldie plec in...donno about the bolt cat
ill probably take it out tommorow as i like the tank being clear

yep ive got some in but i think its workerd to its limit-i havent got any fishing line yet so once i get it ill take the wood out and tie the moss on(its so much cheaper to get fontinalis from pond shop) then pu it in

Back