• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sump advice

Leejw

Seedling
Hi all.

Wishing to get back into hobby but to also keep options open if decide later to go for salt water. Running sump with a planted tank could I use a red sea reefer xl425? Rather than equiping with skimmer etc I could house mechanical/bio media inside. Thanks, appreciate any guidance

Hi,
Welcome.
It's no problem at all. I have a Reefer XL525. CO2 consumption will be higher than with canister filter, but I am perfectly happy for 6 months without any CO2 injection.
I put ceramic rings in the four cups, but quite some soil waste comes through that settles further in the sump. I use them instead of filter socks, because I want to keep the shrimp and fry alive that fall into the sump. I am using the refugium to grow some shrimp and low light plants. The second half is filled with Siporax and some filterwool, before the coarse spunge and return pump.
The only thing that can be a source of frustration is if your pump has no power, the the water level raises above the seperator of the refugium allowing the shrimps and baby fish escape from the refugium.

Back