• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

sump filter

biffster

hi sorry not been about for a while but not been to clever any way
i acquired a new tank its 4x2x2 with a sump and i was wanting to change
the sump as it as been a marine tank and i am going to use it for fresh water
so what i am going to ask is what is the best sump design to go with the tank
as two return pipes side by side and it as a 3500 lph sump pump which i am hoping
will be ok for a fresh water tank oh yes forgot it is going to be a planted tank so
will it be best to go with a spray bar or just a normal straight flow designs for sumps
is what i am looking for cheers

fill one of the chambers with k1 (usually first chamber after downflow is best) fill 2nd chamber with some polishing wool, chuck some purigen and/or carbon in the return chamber along with a heater and you're good to go. some other people load up with scouring pads instead of k1 as they're like £1 for 100 off most markets :) effect is still the same its surface area for bacteria to grow in

double returns are fine with it being a marine tank before you'll probably have fairly good flow with whatever position the outlets were pointing in before failing that you could convert to spray bars makes little/no difference as long as the water is all moving.

i was planning on using alfagrogg and sponges the way is set up now the pump
is sat on a egg crate shelf and under it are the heaters i was thinking of starting
a fresh with the sump as i am wanting to maximise the size of it 30x18x13 inch
i am thinking of adding a small trickle tower on one of the returns from the tank
but i was thinking about resetting all the baffle plates so i can get more out of it and
so its easy to maintain

Back