• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sumped freshwater questions

Rich Jackson

I’ve converted my sumped marine to freshwater .
Question . Do I still use the auto top up ? If so can I put RO water in it or would it need mineraliser in the water .

Can I put my CO2 diffuser in the sump so I don’t have anything g in the tank ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to use ro you can. Co2 in the sump is what I do as well. I used a diffusor near the return pump first but switched to using a reactor instead. The reactor is hooked up to a small dedicated pump inside the return chamber. I also made a cover for the sump to try and minimize co2 loss somewhat.

If you want to use ro you can. Co2 in the sump is what I do as well. I used a diffusor near the return pump first but switched to using a reactor instead. The reactor is hooked up to a small dedicated pump inside the return chamber. I also made a cover for the sump to try and minimize co2 loss somewhat.

Cool . I’ll look into a cover . Didn’t think about gas loss.
Do you have your drop checker in sump as well or in DT?

I have 2 dropcheckers in tank, one on each side, so I can instantly spot issues. You could put it in the first sump chamber too but you wouldn't be able to see co2 level without opening cabinet, so you could miss it if something goes wrong (empty tank, co2 not coming on or something).

I have 2 dropcheckers in tank, one on each side, so I can instantly spot issues. You could put it in the first sump chamber too but you wouldn't be able to see co2 level without opening cabinet, so you could miss it if something goes wrong (empty tank, co2 not coming on or something).

That’s a good point . Thanks

I used one of them gravity fed auto top offs to keep water level stable while away for a week (my tanks have shelving above them) and for the amount of evaporation, the ph change was negligible using tap. I came to this conclusion by monitoring the gh/kh/ph the week before I was to need it.

If I were you I’d do the test I did, high evaporation rates and tap that’s also hard can see a steady upward creep where RO makes more sense for livestock sakes.

Back