• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sumps, and Overflows

webworm

As part of redecorating the lounge (more like rebuild) I've had the suspended wooden floor enforced, and I'm now able to have my 'dream' tank, 120x60x60cm. Which will sit in an alcove. Plan so far is to run this with a sump, the tank itself will be rimless and have an optiwhite front panel.

The only decision left is how to run the overflow and return. Options are as follows

1 - An 'ghost' overflow with a small internal wier box, and a bean animal rear box (~75mm in width) this will easily support 1200GPH, two returns in the top rear corners.
2 - An internal wier again running a bean animal overflow, in one corner. Return within the wier with locline nozel into the main aquarium
3 - A full width 120cm wier, bean animal overflow, with returns located at each end.

I'd be interested in experience of others with either of the arrangements above, and the pro's and con's of any of the above.

I would go for 3, but have it internal, and have a large removable piece of coarse filterfoam in it.
My troubles with overflow are: small fish jumping it, clogging from plantdebris, not enough flowvolume.
Having a tankwide weir:1) has a large "opening"so it will never restrict flow, 2) coarse foam stops fish, and is easily exchangable to clean so clogging isn't a problem.

After running a sumped planted high tech I would say "don't bother".

Yes it has its benefits, massive filtration capacity and media choice (I had K1), relatively easy to clean despite what you might imagine, refugium options, easy to upgrade pumps, heaters inside instead of tank. Plant matter all goes to overflow, and/or down to the sump which is great for trimming dwarf hair grass.

But the downsides, degassing of CO2.... no problem if you get your CO2 cheap like me, but still 8-10bps on a 125L isn't funny. Small fish and inverts going down the overflow...... nightmare for cherry shrimp when they breed. Noisy - vibrations primarily I found. Uncovered means lots of evaporation.... combined with the top tank being uncovered I was literally losing liters per day in a 125. Smell - personally I don't mind the earthy smell, means the tank is healthy but other people commented on it a lot.

Nowadays I just run an Eheim 2229 (wet, not dry) and a secondary cheap chinese thing. Life is very very simple now.

Back