• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

'Super-pico' tanks :D

mr. luke

Well, seeing as i rather enjoy the 'uber pico' craze i have created for myself :D i thought it would be a good idea to have a thread in the gallery for them as i personally at least, am going to be making a huge amount more :D
so yeah, post away and there is no excuse for not doing it lol :lol:

I'll post what i come up with, Jeremy Gay and i were doing this some time ago but the tank was always the problem, i made a few from perspex @ 45mm x 18mm but it was so hard getting it to look good, maybe we could discuss existing vessels that may be useable?....

On ei hav found that would be a managable size is internal box filters :) take out the divider and voila, instand pico tank :D
im making another at the minute from old cd cases lol :p

For anyone who is interested then the little 'tank' I am using measures:

L - 16cm
D - 9.5cm
H - 11cm

Fills to approx 700ml (ish)

You know those mini shredders you get with the winder handles? This is the 'box' that goes underneath the 'shredder'

AC

but surely it is a waste as you can have no inhabitants, and only tiny plants, not to mention lighting will cost a bit to run as it will be overkill. unless you use natural lighting (windowsil)

Nick16 said:
but surely it is a waste as you can have no inhabitants, and only tiny plants, not to mention lighting will cost a bit to run as it will be overkill. unless you use natural lighting (windowsil)

I prefer plants over fish anyway ;) It will sit somehwere where it will recieve daylight (rather than sunlight)

It does look like fun,I guess the closer you can get it looking like a large tank in miniature scale is the point,and not to actually look like a tiny tank from a photo.

vauxhallmark said:
Cute. I couldn't tell from the picture, though, if it was two "tanks" (ie, each made from 5 pieces of acrylic, which fit inside each other) or two "U-shaped" pieces (ie, each made from 3 pieces of acrylic, which fit together to make a six sided cube). Looks good though!
Mark
Taking a closer look I see what you mean, I better get back to work and stop surfing LOL probably worth a PM to the seller before anyone buys one ;)

Maybe a juvinlie shrimp or 2 would make an ace display :D
i might try it with a hybrid as the temperature doesnt drop below 22'c in out living room :)

mr. luke said:
Maybe a juvinlie shrimp or 2 would make an ace display :D
i might try it with a hybrid as the temperature doesnt drop below 22'c in out living room :)
Cherries do fine at temps of 18C

So her is my 800ml Umigumi Pico tank which I've called ‘Rosco P.Cotank’ <----You see what I've done there ;)

here are the specs:
‘Tank’ - 16cm long, 9½cm Deep and 11cm High. The volume works out to 1.67 Litres apparently but I filled it with 800ml
after putting the substrate, hardscape and allowing for the waterline to be an inch from the top!!

Obviously there is no filtration or heating. I'm adding 3 drops of KNO3, 1 drop of trace and 1 drop of Easycarbo daily

I'm then changing 6 tablespoons of water each day and also giving the water a gentle stir on occasions (coffe breaks. lol)

The substrate is just soil straight out of the garden and some play sand on top from my main tank. The limestone is straight out of my garden too.

Only Plant is HC and I'll see how it goes. This is on the kitchen windowsill and gets direct cunlight (hence the easycarbo) and there are a couple of baby Trumpet snails in there

Her is a pic from the front and angled:
Front-5.jpg

angled-1.jpg

This one is for scale. That is a 4pint bottle of milk (2.2 litres for the non imperials.lol)
scale.jpg

And I am using 2 of the 3 normal LED pushlights for taking photos before returning the 'tank' to the windowsill
lights.jpg

AC

i like it : i might try a reasonable size pico, (if thats classed as reasonable :lol: )

Back