• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Superman's 180l Asian Retreat

Re: Superman's First Planted Tank

LondonDragon said:
Looking great Clark :) now where is that bl****y filter???? any news on it???
Keep us posted :)

The filter has been dispatched to me and is estimated to arrive on Wednesday, hence arranging a trip to TGM next Saturday for some plants and a cuppa.

I must say that I always thought that a Luminaire would look messy, but I now am truly converted as they are rather swish.

Superman said:
hence arranging a trip to TGM next Saturday for some plants and a cuppa.
Great :) if you come past me, give me a lift and I will tag along hehehe ;)

i remember the first time i used mine, comeing from 2 x t8. such a massive difference. you got the plant pro tubes?

Been away since Friday, came back and there's been some new algae growth on some leaves. No doubt, due to the change in lighting, even though only running 2x39w at the minute, I'd expect that the old tubes and reflectors might not have been so efficient.

Although, there's some massive new growth in the crypts and over the weekend two of the anubias' have sprouted lovely coloured leaves (very light green).

Due to the algae, I'm going to reduce the photo period to 6 hours and then slowly step it up.
Lights 4pm-10pm
Co2 3pm-9pm

I'll take some photos tomorrow during the weekly water change.

Superman said:
Been away since Friday, came back and there's been some new algae growth on some leaves. No doubt, due to the change in lighting, even though only running 2x39w at the minute, I'd expect that the old tubes and reflectors might not have been so efficient.

Although, there's some massive new growth in the crypts and over the weekend two of the anubias' have sprouted lovely coloured leaves (very light green).

Due to the algae, I'm going to reduce the photo period to 6 hours and then slowly step it up.
Lights 4pm-10pm
Co2 3pm-9pm

I'll take some photos tomorrow during the weekly water change.

Hi Superman,tell me why do you just run your co2 for 6 hrs?,i turn mine on four hrs before lights on so that co2 is at optimum levels,i know this is correct because my plants start pearling within the hr of the lights being on,if you upped your co2 you may get rid of some of that algae you have,regards john.

john,
I run it for that lenght of time as the drop checker stays in the green. I've tried to up it to the yellow end but find that it doesn't really show an effect as guess the diffusion isn't brill, even though the co2 bubbles get pushed around the tank.

I also dose 10mls of easycarbo each day and the algae could of been because I wasn't there to dose over the weekend.

I'll try turning it on earlier this week.

So new filter running for a couple of days, only been using 2 of the 39w T5s

Upped the ferts to..

Macro: 4.6g KNO3, 0.8g KH2PO4, 6.8g MgSO4 - dosed three nights a week
0.5g trace in the days in between the Macro

Since the lights I've had the following. What does this mean? Too much light?

2008-08-13002.jpg

2008-08-13003.jpg

I popped to TGM today, it was totally fantastic as usual. I must of had at least 3 cuppas and a good chat to everyone there. Chatted to Andy and Elaine who were doing some work on their tank in there. Came out with a fair few plants and 5 amano shrimp.

On the way home, I popped into Coxwell Aquatics, which stocked some quality looking livestock and the chaps were very chatty. Not much there in the way of plants, but had a wide range of fish... including pencil fish. So I bought six Nannostomus marginatus (I think that's what they are, forgot to note down their name). DOH.

So, I've rescaped, by placeing the rock a bit flatter, then added a few of the older rocks I've used.

Photos below and comments and suggestions welcome...

2008-08-16001.jpg

2008-08-16003.jpg

2008-08-16004.jpg

2008-08-16006.jpg

2008-08-16007.jpg

2008-08-16008.jpg

2008-08-16012.jpg

2008-08-16014.jpg

Re: Superman's First Planted Tank (Now Rescaped 17.08.2008)

Hi superman,

Glad to see things are still progressing. Some pointers. With the main rock, could I sugest you make the tilt steaper. Try pointing the rock to the top left hand corner. As for you other rocks, my fear would be if plant growth is good, these other rocks will be lost. Plus they look like differant rocks, that can be distracting IMO.

Graeme Edwards said:
Hi superman,

Glad to see things are still progressing. Some pointers. With the main rock, could I sugest you make the tilt steaper. Try pointing the rock to the top left hand corner. As for you other rocks, my fear would be if plant growth is good, these other rocks will be lost. Plus they look like differant rocks, that can be distracting IMO.

Thanks Graeme,

They are the same type of rock, just the smaller bits haven't been in a tank for a few months now.
At the next water change I'll see if I can adjust the rock as you suggested.

Love the shoal of harlequins, look really effective in a planted tank. Planning to get some for my tank after I lost my shoal of cardinals.

Looking great Clark, also have harlequins in my tank, very nice fish, and like the pencils ;)
Make sure you trim that hair grass right down to almost substrate level or you will get some algae on it, it will grow back looking much better ;)
Keep us posted :)

Thanks LD, will do that.

Some photos, my anubias is really flying and have took photos some photos of the new growth.

I've slowly been stepping up the CO2 each day and the drop checker is still green, however tonight after about 2 hours, I noticed that my anubias' started to pearl on the underside of the leaf. So things are going well. There's also some pearling on my crypts.

The new crypts are going through the usual melt and I'm taking out the melting leaves.

The P. Helferi is taking time to bed in, slowly going a bit brown but guess it'll take time to take. I have increased the dosing etc.

What is worrying me is this greeny slimy algae that has appeared on the gravel all over the tank. Its in places that seem to get decent flow, the photo I've taken is where the outflow points to. Speaking to TGM Jim at the weekend, he mentioned that increasing the KH or GH would remove this type of algae?

Still practising with my new lenses and getting the functions of the camera with the F numbers and ISOs :D

2008-08-20001.jpg

2008-08-20002.jpg

2008-08-20003.jpg

2008-08-20004.jpg

2008-08-20007.jpg

2008-08-20011.jpg

Back