• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Superman's 180l Asian Retreat

Superman

I started at 7pm tonight with a Domino's Pizza break at about 9pm and I've just finished. Therefore, I won't be typing up too much tonight but will show you the final shots so that you all have tomorrow to comment on it and suggest changes etc.

I'll write up a bit more of a journal tomorrow night.

I think I've planted well, but didn't want to over plant too densely and wanted space for the plants to grow into. But have a load more plants to use so if people think it's too sparse then I'll add some more tomorrow.

I'm very pleased with the hardscape, I was still messing about with ideas upto the minute it went in but am very happy with it me thinks.

Got the CO2 kit to work too! 8)

Anyway the photos...

2008-04-17008.jpg

2008-04-17009.jpg

2008-04-17010.jpg

2008-04-17011.jpg

2008-04-17012.jpg

2008-04-17013.jpg

2008-04-17014.jpg

2008-04-17015.jpg

2008-04-17016.jpg

2008-04-17017.jpg

2008-04-17018.jpg

2008-04-17019.jpg

2008-04-17020.jpg

2008-04-17021.jpg

Re: Superman's First Planted Tank

I like it :D Well done! Much better then anything I attempted when I first started!

Only thing that I would mention is the vallis looks too...whats' the word, strict, symmetrical? I dunno :lol:

I always used to do what you've done and basically have a line going from 1 side along the back and down the right hand side. If you have anymore vallis how about adding a few a little further forward from the back? Or maybe add 2 or 3 in between the rocks or something, that's just what I would do, just so it wasn't a perfectly straight line :)

Thats great mate.

IMO I'd steer away from bringing the vallis forward as suggested by Azaezl, the vallis is going to grow of its own accord, send out runner and create a more natural look by it's self.
I like the rock placement, good stuff.

Happy days ;)

Did you plant the anubias in the sand or was it tighten to the back of the rock? Can't say I see any strings fishline attach to that stone.

Good work. Although I didn't think of it, I agree with Azaezl re. the vallis. Could you add a bit more between the rocks to bring it forward a bit? It won't be a problem soon anyway when it starts sending runners out.

Is that anubias you've got planted in the gravel/sand?

What substrate did you use by the way - I like it.

Lots of work and a very rewarding evening to show for it there Superman. Sorry to sound like an echo, but just to repeat what the others have said about the anubias/in gravel/potential rotted rhizome. Those vallis grow like crackers once they get a hold, I used to have them and they sprout up all over the place, mine grew to about 3 or 4 ft long and blocked out all the light, my fault as I just let them grow without keeping them pruned back!

beeky said:
Good work. Although I didn't think of it, I agree with Azaezl re. the vallis. Could you add a bit more between the rocks to bring it forward a bit? It won't be a problem soon anyway when it starts sending runners out.

Is that anubias you've got planted in the gravel/sand?

What substrate did you use by the way - I like it.

I'm not a parrot, honest. I just seemed to have missed the other replies re. vallis and anubias!

I didn't tie the anubias onto the rock, prob should of done really and will have to do that tonight if I get chance. No doubt planting at like 1am isn't a good thing sometimes! :rolleyes: I think I have pushed the roots next to the rocks in the gravel.

Is there a way of getting away without having to tie it to the rocks?

The substrate is a base layer of the Tropica Plant substrate and then a large and a medium bag of the Zambesi (spel) sand from Unipac.

Ah! Zambezi sand. I thought it looked familiar!

I had anubias growing on wood until it got to large and then it started rooting in the gravel. It's more an issue of it rotting if it's buried.

Azaezl said:
I like it :D Well done! Much better then anything I attempted when I first started!

Only thing that I would mention is the vallis looks too...whats' the word, strict, symmetrical? I dunno :lol:

I always used to do what you've done and basically have a line going from 1 side along the back and down the right hand side. If you have anymore vallis how about adding a few a little further forward from the back? Or maybe add 2 or 3 in between the rocks or something, that's just what I would do, just so it wasn't a perfectly straight line :)

The plants will grow, once the crypts have taken off then it will be a similar look to Georges 120cm ' harlequins heaven' I like the rocks, where dd you get them from and what are they?

Aaron

I was merely making a suggestion aaron, just saying that's what I would do to make it look less 'neat' and more natural or something.The straightness of it distracts me from the overall look so I just thought I would point it out. Sure it will grow and spread but it was just an instant fix sort of thing. I'm a total newbie and know nothing about real aquascaping so I shouldn't really be giving advice, I'll just stick to pleasant comments from now on :)

Everyone has an opinion and more opinions = more discussion which I think is a good thing. So say what you feel, within reason of course!

Azaezl said:
I was merely making a suggestion aaron, just saying that's what I would do to make it look less 'neat' and more natural or something.The straightness of it distracts me from the overall look so I just thought I would point it out. Sure it will grow and spread but it was just an instant fix sort of thing. I'm a total newbie and know nothing about real aquascaping so I shouldn't really be giving advice, I'll just stick to pleasant comments from now on :)

It's ok to give advice - everyone has their opinions, i was just saying that it will change so no need to worry about, sorry if it come out a bit attackive, it wasn't meant in that way.

Thanks, Aaron

It didn't come across as 'attackive' at all :) I just wanted to explain why I said what I did. I'm not a very confident person in anything I do so I'm very reluctant to advise people unless it's something I've done myself.

Superman re the anubias how about tieing it to some pebbles and partially burying them? I did that with some java fern because I ran out of wood / caves to tie it too.

Back