• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Superman's 180l Asian Retreat

Re: Superman's First Planted Tank

So, I've started dosing 5mls each day of TPN+.

I added the drop checker last night but wasn't in to see the reading before lights off.
The lights are off now, and the drop checker is showing yellowy-green.

Will do another water change later this evening/tomorrow morning.

Omg! One day of adding TPN+ and the HC had gone all green! 8)

Just doing a water change and will add more photos. Hopefully, my algae issues should go soon then.

Trying to read up on dry ferts but difficult to get my head around it at the min :rolleyes:

Should I chop off the leaves where there's algae? Or will they recover?

Hi,
Leaves damaged by algal attacks seldom if ever recover and if they do they are scarred and unattractive. It's best to get them out of the tank as any algae still left on them just breeds more algal spores. :(

Cheers,

Did a water change today and a bit of a clean up.

Here's a photo of the improved growth of the Pogostemon helferi , it was the dark colour all over until this morning. It is the only one showing growth at the minute.
n567487362_907149_3492.jpg

New growth on an Anubias
n567487362_907150_3838.jpg

The HC with a shoot of Vallis coming about 5 inches from it's closest bigger plant. They're (Vallis) are growing well.
n567487362_907151_4135.jpg

Moved the diffuser to below the filter input but the bubbles seem to get mixed up in the flow and are spreading all over the tank due to the direction of the filter output. Is this a good or bad thing?
n567487362_907152_4471.jpg

Not shown on the photos, they're are loads of shoots on the Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis and is covering rather quickly. :D

I'm planning on getting a good external filter once the car insurance is paid for. Reading this month's PFK p104-107, I might go for the JBL CristalProfi el500. Although, I would like an external filter with a built in heater. Although, heard the inline filters are good. Once I get an external filter, I'll be getting an inline CO2 thingy (reactor?).

I was always interested in the Eheim models but think this JBL looks good.

I'm not having much luck at the minute

I forgot to dose this morning TPN+ then when I returned home the drop checker is still showing yellow and there's been an increase in algae in the tank. I've reduced the bubble rate for CO2 injection.

However, there has been a lot of new growth in the plants.

In addition, there seems to be an outbreak of small snails. These seem to have a usual curvy shell but that remains flat. Need to pick the pesky things out.

I dose 5ml per day (when I remember) of TPN+ although I prob feel that this might be too much given the increase in algae? Its the slaghorn type I believe.

Tomorrow night will be a trimming day to get rid of the algae hot spots the only problem is there might not be any plants left!!

Would appreciate any comments or recommendations as I'm a bit stuck as to what to do?

ceg4048 said:
Hi,
We'll need to know what kind of algae in order to troubleshoot. Check JamesC's algae guide and let us know what type you have. http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just use a siphon at the next water change to get rid of the snails.

Cheers,

Hi, thanks. Just realised that so added it to the post above.

Re: Superman's First Planted Tank (HELP NEEDED!)

99.94% of all algae on Planet Earth occurs in our tanks due to either insufficient nutrient dosing or due to starvation of some element. Therefore, fundamentally, reducing the dosing as a result of the appearance of algae is false economy because inevitably this will make matters worse, not better.

The appearance of Staghorn is normally associated with poor CO2, however you advised that your dropchecker was yellow which, assuming you are using 4dkh water is an indication of adequate-high CO2. If this is the case we then have to look at flow or distribution. It could be that your filter throughput is insufficient, or that the effluent is placed in a disadvantageous position. What type of filter output do you have and how is it arranged? Another thing to look at is at what time does your CO2 come on relative to the light. Is the gas On 24 hours per day or do you use a timer. If you use a timer you need to turn the gas on an hour or two before lights on. What is the filter throughput rating of the filter? Also, how often do you do water changes and how much water do you replace? Do you normally clean the filter every so often? Do you vacuum the mulm from the substrate? All these issues can be factors.

Cheers,

Re: Superman's First Planted Tank (HELP NEEDED!)

ceg4048 said:
99.94% of all algae on Planet Earth occurs in our tanks due to either insufficient nutrient dosing or due to starvation of some element. Therefore, fundamentally, reducing the dosing as a result of the appearance of algae is false economy because inevitably this will make matters worse, not better.

The appearance of Staghorn is normally associated with poor CO2, however you advised that your dropchecker was yellow which, assuming you are using 4dkh water is an indication of adequate-high CO2. If this is the case we then have to look at flow or distribution. It could be that your filter throughput is insufficient, or that the effluent is placed in a disadvantageous position. What type of filter output do you have and how is it arranged? Another thing to look at is at what time does your CO2 come on relative to the light. Is the gas On 24 hours per day or do you use a timer. If you use a timer you need to turn the gas on an hour or two before lights on. What is the filter throughput rating of the filter? Also, how often do you do water changes and how much water do you replace? Do you normally clean the filter every so often? Do you vacuum the mulm from the substrate? All these issues can be factors.

Cheers,

Thanks for the reply.

I think that the flow might be an issue then as I'm using the Juwel internal filter and wouldn't say that the flow is powerful. The output is pointing diagonally across the tank which hits the front of the tank at about half way. I keep wishing to get an external filter and might bite the bullet tonight after the artical in PFK.

My CO2 is put on 1 hour before lights on.

I change about 40 litres each week but haven't dared to gravel vac as yet as was afraid that the plants would get uprooted.

Had a bit of a tidy up today, chopped off most of the leaves with algae before my water change.

Have reduced the CO2 rate to about one bubble per 1.5 seconds or so, but not showing any bubbles from the diffuser.

Think some of my shrimp were getting frisky earlier.

It looks like I'll have to strip it down as I'm looking to take a job offer in Cheltenham.

Since I managed to realise I was using the wrong reagent bottle for the drop checker, I've been able to get a nice light green colour in the drop checker and been able to keep it stable for the past 4 or so days.

I've been keeping up to dosing 5ml of TPN+ each day before going to work and it seems to be having a good effect.

Getting rid of the worst algae affected leaves has meant that the algae growth has stopped. It did continue for a bit when I had my mix up with the reagents but since there hasn't been a noticable change in the algae.

The plants seem to be doing well, the Tiger Vallis keeps sending out new shoots and this morning noticed a new one that had already grown about 2-3 inches! Wish they'd grow into where I want them tho!

The anubias is doing well, I had to remove most of the mature leaves due to being covered in algae, but they're producing a large number of new leaves.

I am however, disappointed by the regeneration of the crytps but guess they're slower growers.

I must say that the carpeting plant I have (can't remember the name at the min) is growing rapidly and sending out some new shoots.

Overall, things have settled down I think into an equilibrium. Although, I don't see too much of the shrimp recently, as they hide behind the rocks. But then I have reduced the cover they had previously by chopping most of the plants.

I've decided to try and keep the setup when I move to Cheltenham.

Thanks guys.

Think I just caught my Harle's having a go at a Cherry Shrimp that was swimming around. I'll have to keep an eye out. Maybe that's why I've not seen any for a while, they've been eaten?

Here's a few photos...

Full Tank Shot...
2008-05-23003.jpg

Vallis Growth, love the tiger markings...
2008-05-23004.jpg

2008-05-23005.jpg

Algae...
2008-05-23007.jpg

2008-05-23008.jpg

2008-05-23010.jpg

Green drop checker (yay!)
2008-05-23011.jpg

New Anubias growth...
2008-05-23012.jpg

2008-05-23006.jpg

Coming on nicely. If you aren't doing so then spot treating that algae with Excel/EasyCarbo will really help shift that algae IME.

Superman said:
Ed Seeley said:
Coming on nicely. If you aren't doing so then spot treating that algae with Excel/EasyCarbo will really help shift that algae IME.

Would doing that upset the shrimp?

Not at all. IME EasyCarbo is totally shrimp safe and Excel is the same. I have dosed double dosages with no problems to anything except the algae (I don't grow Vallis or other plants which can be a bit sensititive). As you have Vallis I'd stick to the standard dose rates and simply put each days dose in a syringe or pipette and squirt it directly at the algae infested areas under water. You should see the algae bleach and die within a few days.

Ed Seeley said:
Superman said:
Ed Seeley said:

Would doing that upset the shrimp?

Not at all. IME EasyCarbo is totally shrimp safe and Excel is the same. I have dosed double dosages with no problems to anything except the algae (I don't grow Vallis or other plants which can be a bit sensititive). As you have Vallis I'd stick to the standard dose rates and simply put each days dose in a syringe or pipette and squirt it directly at the algae infested areas under water. You should see the algae bleach and die within a few days.

Ta will try it.

Since taking the advice of Clive and dose Easycarbo on my tank the algea as disappeared, take a look at the lastest photos of my tank (I will post them in a minute) and you will see the improvement. Since George has a Rio 125 also he recommended 5ml per day, and thats what I have been dosing, I purchased a 1l bottle which will last me about 6 months.

Back