• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Superman's 180l Asian Retreat

Re: Superman's First Planted Tank

LondonDragon said:
Since taking the advice of Clive and dose Easycarbo on my tank the algea as disappeared, take a look at the lastest photos of my tank (I will post them in a minute) and you will see the improvement. Since George has a Rio 125 also he recommended 5ml per day, and thats what I have been dosing, I purchased a 1l bottle which will last me about 6 months.

So using TPN+ and EasyCarbo would be ok? They are different types of nutrition aren't they?

Will using EasyCarbo be ok with my plants as I noticed that some people experience difficulties with Vallis with Excel? Or is Excel something totally different?

Superman said:
LondonDragon said:
Since taking the advice of Clive and dose Easycarbo on my tank the algea as disappeared, take a look at the lastest photos of my tank (I will post them in a minute) and you will see the improvement. Since George has a Rio 125 also he recommended 5ml per day, and thats what I have been dosing, I purchased a 1l bottle which will last me about 6 months.

So using TPN+ and EasyCarbo would be ok? They are different types of nutrition aren't they?

Will using EasyCarbo be ok with my plants as I noticed that some people experience difficulties with Vallis with Excel? Or is Excel something totally different?

Don't look at EasyCarbo or Excel as nutrition as such, it's basically a carbon source for the plants like CO2. It also happens to have algicidal effects too.

EasyCarbo and Excel are basically the same stuff so be careful with the doses you use with your Vallis, that's why I suggested standard doses squirted onto the algae, not at the vallis!

George Farmer said:
Should've spent another £7 and got free P&P!!!

Thats exactly what i do everytime i order. Infact last time i ordered i only needed a diffuser and some tubing and ended up spending about 90 squid :lol:

Superman said:
I know, tried to work up to the £50 but just couldn't! Hehe
All you needed was an aquajournal and it would have been free, same price as postage ;)

AE's postage can be wacko at times anyway. I ordered some £20 worth of stuff over the weekend and postage was £4.95 with weight being 1.7kg. I then added two suction cups and the weight went up to 2.1kg with postage costing £6.95 :rolleyes: I removed the suction cups :lol:

Superman said:
Picked up my AE delivery today.
Dosing EasyCarbo at 5ml per day. See how that goes.
I saw a big difference within a week, good luck :)

Superman said:
As well the glosso is starting to flurish, need to split the clumps up now so that a carpet is started.
You should plant the glosso like this:
Glossostigma-elatinoides.jpg

Have 4/5 leaves in each, thats what I did and in about 4 weeks it filled in nicely, you can see it in my journal.
The corries kept digging it up inicially, so it was a daily check and re-plating, but once the root take hold it will never come up again.

Superman said:
One of my anubias' seems to have sprouted a flower type thingy.
Nice :) photo time, mine haven't done that in over a year! No idea why they stopped.

I wouldn't think its from the EasyCarbo, just do a couple of water changes a week until you get that down.
I have a test kit but I have never used it LOL I just took the advice of what people say, just look for signs in the tank on the plants and fish, and keep maintenance of the tank always to a high standard and you will never get any major problems.

The shrimp problem, fish will eat shrimp if they can fit them in their mouth, also make sure you not dosing too much copper from any of your ferts.

I had a bit of a tidy up after last night's 50% water change.

I've replanted most things, especially the vallis to try and create a thick area on the left and moved all the crypts to the right. I've tried to replant the HC but its so small it's hard to pick out bits to spread across the area I want.

I think that the balance is a little bit better.

Still having to do 50% water changes due to an ammonia spike for some reason (possibly dying algae).

Ammonia 0.5ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 10ppm

First time I've had/noticed an ammonia spike so hopefully it'll go soon.

Still doing 5ml each of TPN+ and EasyCarbo.

I guess dosing EasyCarbo will send the reading on my drop checker into the yellow (too much CO2)?
Therefore, the other day I reduced the bubble rate.

When I'm doing a water change as 50%, how much should I dose the ferts? Just continue with the 5ml or should I add a bit to give it a kick start?

Anyway photos...
2008-06-07001.jpg

2008-06-07002.jpg

2008-06-07003.jpg

Superman said:
When I'm doing a water change as 50%, how much should I dose the ferts? Just continue with the 5ml or should I add a bit to give it a kick start?
Looking much better Clark, congrats, just dose the usual after the water change ;)

Back