• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Superman's 180l Asian Retreat

Re: Superman's First Planted Tank

Superman said:
I drained half the water, bagged the fish, drained the rest of the water, removed the rocks and left the gravel
It was really too heavy so next time will even remove the gravel.
Did you move it on top of the cabinet all in one go? or just on its own without any problems?

LondonDragon said:
Superman said:
I drained half the water, bagged the fish, drained the rest of the water, removed the rocks and left the gravel
It was really too heavy so next time will even remove the gravel.
Did you move it on top of the cabinet all in one go? or just on its own without any problems?
It came off it's stand, very very difficult to move - so my friends said who lifted it!
Only problem was that everything was swished around as not all the water was removed.

Photos...

Trumpet Snail (Thanks to London Dragon)
2008-07-12001.jpg

Ottos...
2008-07-12003.jpg

2008-07-12004.jpg

2008-07-12005.jpg

2008-07-12006.jpg

Need to find new batteries for more photos.

That's looking like it survived the move pretty effortlessly Clark, well done. Glad things seem to be settling down nicely now in there.

Today was the first time I've seen/noticed some new growth. Mainly from the vallis as the crypts seem to be melting back a bit.

The Anubias is also producing some new leaves.

Managed to get one quick photos of an Otto before my batteries went again on my camera.

2008-07-16.jpg

Right, so two weeks of dosing dry ferts. I think things are looking up now. There hasn't been any algae problems since my move down here although I'm sure that the Ottos are helping.

On the particular plants, the Anubias has showing the best improvement over the last two weeks, with on the two larger plants showing lots of new leaf growth. In addition, whilst the crypts have been showing some melt over the last weeks due to the move, there has been a lot of new growth and you can really see the difference in the new green and the older green.

I managed to get some little mini-jam pots from Morrisons and store my daily dose amounts in there.

As you can prob tell in the photos, due to the move I wasn't really in a mind to 'scape' the plants, so have rather bunched them at the minute until I can sort them in a few weeks when my external filter arrives. Other than that, I removed some of the rocks leaving the feature rock in there creating a nice overhang/cave. I think it's a bit too close to the front of the tank at the minute. With regards to the plant layouts I would appreciate some suggestions.

I have noticed that the gravel has started to get a brown staining from it which is different from the usual brown diatoms that I've had in the past. I wonder if that's showing a deficiency or an over supply of some nutrient? I've not changed my dosing from the one outline earlier.

I think the other night I caught a couple of my ottos spawning or at least practising after looking online as what it looks like when they do. They must be very happy. 8)

There was some white line of (what looked like) goo, on a leave of my anubias but that cleared up the next day. Wonder what it was, if I see it again, I'll take a photo now I've got some batteries.

Anyway the photos...

2008-07-19001.jpg

2008-07-19002.jpg

2008-07-19003.jpg

2008-07-19004.jpg

2008-07-19005.jpg

2008-07-19006.jpg

2008-07-19007.jpg

2008-07-19008.jpg

2008-07-19009.jpg

2008-07-19010.jpg

2008-07-19011.jpg

2008-07-19012.jpg

2008-07-19013.jpg

2008-07-19014.jpg

2008-07-19015.jpg

2008-07-19016.jpg

2008-07-19017.jpg

2008-07-19018.jpg

2008-07-19019.jpg

2008-07-19020.jpg

Looking good Clark, all you need now is a few more plants to fill it in nicely, looking bare still.
Also the CO2 diffusor won't get any flow from the filter where it is, try the opposite end of the tank or better underneath the output from the filter to blow the bubbles around the tank.
New filter should help when it arrives ;) Good luck

I really like this, especially the way you've arranged the rocks although I think it would look better with the "structure" moved to the right a bit surrounded by the crypts. The contracts between the vallis and the crypts is very nice.

LondonDragon said:
Looking good Clark, all you need now is a few more plants to fill it in nicely, looking bare still.
Also the CO2 diffusor won't get any flow from the filter where it is, try the opposite end of the tank or better underneath the output from the filter to blow the bubbles around the tank.
New filter should help when it arrives ;) Good luck
thanks on the suggestion to move the diffuser, it's now under the filter output and means it keeps the co2 bubbles suspended in the water for longer and can see them flow around the tank.

With regards to the dozing, what signs should I look for that would indicate that I needs to change my dosing?

Superman said:
Was thinking of getting a powerhead to increase the water circulation in the tank.
Where's the best place to put them in a Juwel and given my plant arrangements?
I got mine on the back wall with the flow pointing towards the diffusor so that the bubbles are blown all the way around the tank and into the L. Aromatica the more demanding plant. The plants you have at present Anubias, Crypts and Vallis are all low demanding plants really, try placing it just above your CO2 diffusor so that the flow just carries the CO2 bubbles all the way round the tank, and if the bubbles go into the powerhead then will get broken into tinnier bubbles and disolver quicker into the water.

Superman said:
Was thinking of getting a powerhead to increase the water circulation in the tank.

Where's the best place to put them in a Juwel and given my plant arrangements?

I've got a Koralia in the opposite corner to my filter pointed to give flow towards the front middle of the tank. With your Vallis though that might not be the best bet. I think either in front of the vallis on the left or in front of the filter pointing downwards on the right. This will then send a current across the front of the tank low down.

Ed Seeley said:
I've got a Koralia in the opposite corner to my filter pointed to give flow towards the front middle of the tank. With your Vallis though that might not be the best bet. I think either in front of the vallis on the left or in front of the filter pointing downwards on the right. This will then send a current across the front of the tank low down.

Yer, can imagine the Vallis would get sucked in. So right front corner pointing downwards would be the option, although wouldn't that upset the filter intake?

Back