• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Superman's 180l Asian Retreat

I've had just about enough, green water has appeared again over the weekend - can people with a planted tank have a life? Every time I go away at a weekend, something goes wrong. I know that's a trend but what the hell can I do?!

There's the return of the "brown fuzz" around the HC and P Helferi, this time only in small quantities but nothing as seen before.

I'm nearly at breaking point as I don't really have time to be messing with the tank over and over again, all I want is a nice stable aquarium that I can do water changes, feed the fish and enjoy the sight of it in my living room.

I think I've tried almost everything, I must be dosing enough, I could be having too much light but have turn it down to 2x39Ws over the past few weeks since the blackout. There's enough filtration, I do my water changes. Stocked decent but wouldn't class it as "overstocked". Shrimp don't work - given up trying on that one.

I just seem to be losing the battle against algae, no matter what I try.

I'm giving it one last chance before I get rid, I'm thinking of getting rid of the at least the HC as that seems to be ruined and also always get ruined no matter what I do.

I'm thinking of turning it into a bit more of a jungle with more crypts - at least they do well in my tank (thank god!), maybe use some wood I picked up a few weeks ago and put some mosses on it.

So I'm open to any volume of crypts as a donation to UKaps.

If someone could point me to what I'm doing wrong then please do so, as I can't take much more of this. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind spending money and have done recently, but when you don't see anything improving (or even it's getting worse) then I don't seem much point as sometimes my girlfriend gets annoyed as I'm seeing to the tank rather than seeing to her!

I know you have a nice setup here and all, but if you really want it to be ''just a water change and feed the fish'' why don't you go really low-tech? You could replicate somethin like George Farmer's ''Harlequin's Haven'' - that's stunning and quite low maint.

Thomas McMillan said:
I know you have a nice setup here and all, but if you really want it to be ''just a water change and feed the fish'' why don't you go really low-tech? You could replicate somethin like George Farmer's ''Harlequin's Haven'' - that's stunning and quite low maint.

That might be the way, I'll go.

Thanks Sam.

Well, last night/today is seeing a totally different look.

I'm sure Steve will vouch that I said "I'm not a fan of wood", so therefore my tank now has some wood in it :D :D :lol:

Thanks to those who have agreed swap deals and have some really nice mosses and crypts on their way.

Therefore, I'll be closing this thread and opening a new one, to document my trials and tribulations of my new "scaped" tank.

Not sure if it's a "scape" but it's a planted thank anyway! :rolleyes: ;)

When looking in my control panel, it said that this thread was the heaviest thread I'd posted in, so had a long read through it last night.

It was really enjoyable to see what I've learnt in over a year and what mistakes I was making back then.

I guess we all have to learn sometime and I can only thank everyone who's helped me along the way.

So, I'm only 5 years behind George, watch your back fella ;) :lol: :D :twisted:

Back