• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Surface hoovers?

Is it like an actual hoover ? Like one you would use on the floor ?

I guess you could get a wet/dry hoover.
Wouldn't be cheap though ?

think it was just a wet/dry vacuum. Most home retailers will sell them but a net is much cheaper :)

KrisHumphreys1991 said:
Large diameter hose, get a good siphon going and skim from below surface ?

As Kris says but use a smaller diameter hose to get a lower syphon volume. I would have thought this would still be enough to remove most detritus and mulm and bits of plant and slower at removing the water.

Andy

I use a 2l coke bottle with bottom cut off, making a funnel shape, with a bit of filter foam wedged in. Push below surface, water pours in, lift up water goes through foam catching all the plant cuttings, scum etc. Easy peasy, no power needed, just rinse foam in bucket of fish water when finished. Job done.

Something like below.
filterf.jpg

ian_m said:
I use a 2l coke bottle with bottom cut off, making a funnel shape, with a bit of filter foam wedged in. Push below surface, water pours in, lift up water goes through foam catching all the plant cuttings, scum etc. Easy peasy, no power needed, just rinse foam in bucket of fish water when finished. Job done.

Something like below.
filterf.jpg
Good idea Batman, simple but effective. Can use bottle size to suit aquarium, 500ml to 5lt or anything in-between.

sr20det said:
ian_m said:

Something like below.
filterf.jpg
Good idea Batman, simple but effective. Can use bottle size to suit aquarium, 500ml to 5lt or anything in-between.
I have another coke bottle shaped into a "scoop" for applying more substrate or moving substrate as well as scooping water out of my filter after cleaning.

I also re-used old filter foam from my Juwel filter in my surface cleaner. Washed thoroughly in sink, cut width in 1/2 so about 3/4 inch thick, soaked in water with dechlorinator added and just used.

Back