• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

swapping filters over

lstratton

So, my 2 new Tetratec EX1200 arrived yesterday. They are huge, I didn't for some reason even think about the canister being bigger. silly really. anyway, I have attached one to my rio240 and 1 to my other tank for now, eventually I want them both on my rio240.
Currently I have an EX600 and internal Juwel filter on the rio240 as well, so was thinking that I'll swap the internal out with the EX1200 in a couple of weeks. Do you think that will have any affect on the parameters. It isn't a heavily stocked tank at all at the moment. there are about 4 otos and 2 3inch plecs, so hoping that will be ok, what do you guys think?

Should be fine, especially if you're planted, as the plants are great filters too.

I stocked a brand new 60cm with 20 small fish, otos and shrimp with a brand new filter but heavy planting. 4 weeks on and the fish are great, and not even a hint of algae. If you're interested then look out for the next (May) issue of PFK...

As per George's comments really. I went from a Fluval 3+ internal to a Tetratec EX700 in a heavily planted 33USG. It has got approx 50" of fish in there including 4 plecs and 2 cichlids.

I just put the 2 small foam pads from the Fluval into the top tray of the Tetratec where I had removed the carbon from.

No probs at all.

Andy

Stuff the filter media from the internal into the external. You'll need to remove some of the external's media but you'll maintain exactly the same amount of bacteria etc so little to no difference in anything! Slowly swap in the filter media shaped for the external every few weeks.

oh that is a good idea as well and since I took out the carbon I have space to add it into as well! Thankyou for that

Back