• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Switched to EI - What went wrong

Hi all,
Do we really need 4ppm Mg in a low tech tank?
No probably not, it is just an arbitrary figure, but a lot of river water etc. will naturally contain a lot more magnesium than this.You could add it once a week.

Calcium and magnesium aren't like the other nutrients, because they are the components of general hardness and a lot of natural waters are "hard", or soils alkaline, just because of the geology of their depositional basin.

The plant just needs some magnesium, once you've fulfilled that requirement the actual amount isn't that important. Because magnesium is mobile within the plant you should get a pretty rapid greening after its addition if it was deficient.

Personally I just use plant health, via the Duckweed Index for nutrient addition, and I don't worry too much about the actual amounts of nutrients I add.

If the "duckweed" is green and growing, I don't add nutrients. When it starts to look unhealthy I add N and K, if that doesn't help I add everything else.

If I suspect iron deficiency (this effects new leaves and is a non-mobile element) I know that it plant health will only improve when new leaves grow.

cheers Darrel

Back