• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Switching from reef to planted

Chris_85

Hello everybody, I've recently shut down my reef tank due to a house move and decided to sell up as the cost of the hobby was spiralling out of control. I'm looking into setting up a nice planted tank around the 3ft size range. So to start with what are peoples recommendations for tanks/stands i would prefer braceless open top

Kind regards,
Chris.

I know many years ago in another life. I moved away from marine and it was certainly a good option. The cost of marine was astronomical especially running 6 metal halide lights. My electrician at the time commented he had never seen a power meter spinning so fast so was my wallet. Mind you planted and shrimp tanks are up there but a lot better than the salty stuff.
Dirk

i started off in the aquarium hobby with planted tanks and found them more relaxing and enjoyable, so i think for now its what i would like to go back to! Still in the very early planning stages as a lot has changed since i last had a planted tank. So what are peoples thoughts on tanks to get back into the hobby? ideal size? is it better to start off small to get back into things?

i started off in the aquarium hobby with planted tanks and found them more relaxing and enjoyable, so i think for now its what i would like to go back to! Still in the very early planning stages as a lot has changed since i last had a planted tank. So what are peoples thoughts on tanks to get back into the hobby? ideal size? is it better to start off small to get back into things?

Hey Chris

Started us off with a tough question huh!!

Size depends on so many things. Budget not being the least of them!

High tech (higher budget) low tech (lower budget) as a rule, style, planting goals, what fish you want to keep, how much time you have free, where it is going and what it looks like in your home; all may have an impact on the size you choose.

3ft is not a bad choice I don’t think and as you’ve had reef and dabbled in planted before maybe something smaller won’t feel like it ticks the boxes for you!!

I’d just say ask yourself a bunch of questions first about what your end goal is and see where that leads you.

Can’t give you much advice on braceless/open top, only ever had lidded (got cats!!) but other folks may come in to advise on some options.

hi I did marine for ages years and it was the most stressful time in my fish keeping hobby I've now gone back to planted tank's and with the colours u get from all the different plants is actually in my personal view betterthan a reef set up because if u don't get them right the reef tank can look awful and scruffy and its not easy to get it all bang on

hi I did marine for ages years and it was the most stressful time in my fish keeping hobby I've now gone back to planted tank's and with the colours u get from all the different plants is actually in my personal view betterthan a reef set up because if u don't get them right the reef tank can look awful and scruffy and its not easy to get it all bang on
I have found the reefkeeping a bit too stressful for me. I much preferred the freshwater side of things. I'm now in the process of planning my tank whilst simultaneously selling my reef set up! I'm just excited get back doing planted tanks again!

Back