• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Switching Tanks

NeilW

Hey,

I've just purchased one of those nice opti-white nanos from Aqua Essentials with the intention of replacing my current nasty build quality clearseal. Nice opportunity for a new scape :D. One potential plan is to scape the new tank and switch the filter and old tank water from my old set-up on the same day.

My question is would the bacteria colony in the filter alone be sufficient if I just transfered my filter from my old tank to the new, or would the new tank itself need its own bacteria build-up (in the substrate, plants etc.) first?

Thanks,
Neil

Both times that I have done this I have went through a mini-cycle so if you have sensitive livestock then I'd suggest running the 2 tanks simultaneously until your new tank is completely cycled.

Iliveinazoo said:
Both times that I have done this I have went through a mini-cycle so if you have sensitive livestock then I'd suggest running the 2 tanks simultaneously until your new tank is completely cycled.

I have a tank of CRS so I think i'll be going for the simultaneous option!

Thanks,
Neil

NeilW said:
Hey,

My question is would the bacteria colony in the filter alone be sufficient if I just transfered my filter from my old tank to the new, or would the new tank itself need its own bacteria build-up (in the substrate, plants etc.) first?

Thanks,
Neil

Neil

Should not make any difference. What I would do is remove 50% of water and save it for your fish, plants etc and add an air stone - you will need some big buckets, the remaining amount drain off and save. Tip substrate into new tank add filter and the water you have justed drained off, top up with fresh water and leave of 24 hrs to allow dirt from substrate to settle, then add plants, fish etc - all done in a week end. If you look at it this way - all you are doing is a 50% water change which should not affect the bacteria colony.

Regards
paul.

NeilW said:
Hey,

I've just purchased one of those nice opti-white nanos from Aqua Essentials with the intention of replacing my current nasty build quality clearseal. Nice opportunity for a new scape :D. One potential plan is to scape the new tank and switch the filter and old tank water from my old set-up on the same day.

Thanks,
Neil

You will get a mini-cycle as you will have lost the huge bacterial population in the substrate, decor and even on the surface of the plants in the existing tank. If you re-use the old substrate then you will move some of that population across but the move will still set it back and reduce the population so a small cycle will happen.

However if you do some large water changes every day or so afterwards, don't feed the fish for a few days before and after the move and then slowly build up the levels of food over the next week or so then you should find that even the most sensitive fish should be fine.

Ed Seeley said:
You will get a mini-cycle as you will have lost the huge bacterial population in the substrate, decor and even on the surface of the plants in the existing tank. If you re-use the old substrate then you will move some of that population across but the move will still set it back and reduce the population so a small cycle will happen.

However if you do some large water changes every day or so afterwards, don't feed the fish for a few days before and after the move and then slowly build up the levels of food over the next week or so then you should find that even the most sensitive fish should be fine.

So if I just move the filter straight across and carry out large water changes over the following days it will all be ok?

Thanks for your replies.

Back