• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Switching to EI Ferts

Been think about mixing my own ferts till now thought this to be a something quite hard but after some advice on here i found fluidsensor.com but still not sure about the chemicals i need to order i found the EI calculator which really makes things simply

From the results it tells me i need to mix the following chemicals

• Trace Elements
    Potassium Nitrate
    Monopotassium Phosphate
    Magnesium Sulphate

Is this all i need to purchase

Also which is there preferred dosing method adding dry every day over the week or making two liquids and dose sequentially over the week

Also it says something about may not need Magnesium Sulphate if you are in a hard water area whats classed as hard water think my water about average so do i add it or not

At about what GH/KH would you say i need to consider using or not using Magnesium Sulphate

Hi sussex-cichlids
sussex_cichlids said:
From the results it tells me i need to mix the following chemicals

Trace Elements
Potassium Nitrate
Monopotassium Phosphate
Magnesium Sulphate

Is this all i need to purchase

Yes it is :D

With regards to Magnesium Sulphate, if you are not sure that your tap water contains enough, start your dosing regime using the MgSO4 and gradually reduce it over a couple of months. If you do not see any deficiencies in the plants then your tap water contains enough. Always better to start high and reduce, rather than start low and increase. Starting low can cause problems with deficiencies. I don't know anyone who's had a problem starting high.

sussex_cichlids said:
Also which is there preferred dosing method adding dry every day over the week or making two liquids and dose sequentially over the week
The preferred method is what you prefer. Makes no difference either way. Personally, I mix up the two solutions once a month and dose alternate days. That means I only have to 'measure' things once a month rather than daily. Just keeps dosing simple for me :D

sussex_cichlids said:
At about what GH/KH would you say i need to consider using or not using Magnesium Sulphate
Most aquatic plants do well in hard water, so I would add it anyway.
Hope that helps.

Just ordered my salts

Products
------------------------------------------------------
1 x Monopotassium Phosphate - 250g = £3.95
1 x Magnesium Sulphate - 250g = £2.95
1 x Potassium Nitrate - 250g = £3.90
1 x Trace Elements - 250g = £6.35
1 x Dosing bottle - 500ml = £2.45
1 x Dosing bottle - 1000ml = £2.95

So once were start dosing EI method is there any other trace elements or other stuff that i need to use as well what listed above

Im use to using JBL ferropol and JBL 24hr at the mow

Just want to make sure got everything in place before we start the tank up next week

Nope, sounds to me like you have everything you need there. You don't need any trace as your chelated trace will be mixed with water in a separate bottle to everything else. Do you have suitable bottles to mix and dispense the ferts?

Back