• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Switching to Low-tech

Hi Darrel,

Firstly thanks for the interesting reading. I completely take on board what you've said about plant mass, its clearly the element of the low-tech sceme that i have overlooked. In its current state i suppose i am on countdown to some aglae problems.

The Ceratopteris has (until now) passed me by. I like the idea that they solve 3 problems specifically in my tank.

They increase the plant mass, they are easy to relocate and they will create height in my tank. I've PM'ed you about them.

I am hoping to add Rams or Apistogramma to my tank at some point. I have been cautious about adding more fish until i was happy with the direction i was taking.

Hi all,
With just a bit more cover a perfect dwarf cichlid tank. If you want to keep Apistogrammas you need some "caves", I use planted 1/2 coconuts. Rams don't need a cave, but the Cardinals will eat all the fry if they spawn. If the other Tetra is a Black Neon? they are good "dithers" for Apistogramma (Cardinals tend to be a bit of a fry hunter).

Ceratopteris spp. are floating or Indian Fern, I can send you some, but it is a bit fragile in the post.

cheers Darrel

This is where the Latin plant names come back to haunt me, because i had an Indian Fern as part of my initial plant bundle about a year ago.
My care (as i remember) was not in keeping with its requrements! As you said i need to increase my plant mass so if you have some spare that would be great.

I think my next stop is the classifieds to pick up some cuttings until my anubias/swords and crypts fill out a bit more.

I'm not a big fan of floating plants and i find "carpetting" plants act like a magnet to all the detrius in the tank.

My dry ferts and seachem Eq. arrived today. Just got some small pots to start off with (100g i think)

Plus i've put in an order for more plants from Java-plants. I should be getting 5 Potted Ceratopteris, 3 Potted Java Ferns and 5 Crypt. Balansae.

I'll keep my eye out for some pygmy chain sword and crypt wendtii.

Then in June i am hoping to add some more fish.

What do I do about the 'gunk' that gathers at the bottom of the tank? It would normally get hoovered away during a water change.

Do I leave it, or is there a way to remove it without disrupting the balance of a low tech tank.

Good question.

I've not had that problem as I find an army of shrimp and good filtration works wonders to prevent detritus building up on the substrate.

I'd be inclined to clean it out every so often.

Hi all,
I hoover "excessive mulm" up occasionally, (although I'm sure a lot of other members would be hyperventilating and reaching for the syphon long before it got to this stage), like Matt says you don't tend to get it tanks with a very light fish load and/or MTS and Shrimps. I try not to disturb the substrate when I have a syphon. If you are worried about fluctuations in CO2 content you could always leave the replacement water to out-gas (possibly with an air stone in it?) before topping back up. I change a small volume of water every day (~10%) in all the tanks, it's rainwater out of a butt, so it should be in equilibrium with atmospheric CO2 already.

cheers Darrel

My plants from java arrived yesterday and after a quick rinse I've added them to the tank.

I expect the Crypt will melt back as per usual, but at least they look like strong plants.

The pots of Java Fern sit nicely on the substrate, but the Cera will need some Slate tying to it to keep it place.

I am shopping for some measuring spoons this weekend to begin my dry ferts.

Thanks for the hoovering advice, I have a bucket of water sitting outside which I am goig to use for the small top ups.

Try Sainsburys for the spoons... Saw a set in there identical to some I purchased online at four times the price...

Measuring spoons? Asda, bright pink ones for £2. Metal ones for £5.

I never knew measuring spoons would bring UKAPS to life.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will hit the high street and see what I can bag for a few quid.

I will report back with photos ;)

Back