• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

T5 led bulbs

ScareCrow

Hi all,

Recently my current light unit has been starting to lose diodes, so I've been back and forth looking at options for replacing it. A couple of weeks ago I bought a job lot of equipment. One of the items included was a T5 Arcadia light unit. It wasn't something I necessarily wanted but it was a package deal so if I must have more fish equipment so be it :lol:.
IMG_20220530_085240.jpg

IMG_20220530_085244_1.jpg

The light unit still works but the bulbs are definitely past their best. Has anyone tried or have and recommendations of T5 led replacements? I've been struggling to find any that have decent specs for aquariums so I'm guessing they don't exist anymore (I know they were a thing for a short time around 2010). Apart from the nostalgia factor, I don't really want to go back to T5 if I can avoid it.

If T5 led replacements aren't available with a decent spec, I'm thinking of taking out all of the electronics and sticking a couple of 30watt rgb flood lights or workshop strip lights and maybe add some RGB strips in there. I think lightly sanding the clear plastic would help diffuse the flood light output so it's less direct. I probably should add some extra ventilation too.
Sorry this post is a bit of a brain dump, it's just I'd like to make use of it in some capacity if possible.

Normally I don't judge equipment but in this case I have to say that the design looks pretty poor regarding the reflecting surface for tubes and also worry, even at the diode 120 degree light angle you will block or mis-direct a bunch of light.
I could be wrong but that design speaks fish only....

At 24" plenty of cheap " proper" leds.

Gutting it by removing the ballast housing would be one way and adding rows of "sticky" ribbon leds is an option. Suggest .5w kind.
Not sure about floods.

Back