t5 lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by tyke_uk, 19 Feb 2009.

1. tyke_uk

tyke_uk Member

hi i wonder if anyone could help i havent set my tank up yet i have a trigon 190 and will be using pressurised co2 and fertz i had the standard 2x28watt t8 tubes and have now upgraded to 2x28watt t5 will this be enough as i cant get another light unit under the hood and im now using more or less what juwel recommends many thanks.

2. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

That would be more than enough I reckon. Its just over 2WPG and as its T5 lighting the amount of light produced will be much higher than for the T8's.

Sam

3. Simon D

Simon D Member

I assume the 190 refers to litres, therefor 42 gallons. For most plants you would need about 2 watts per gallon or 84 watts of light This is based on T8 lights, T5s are more intense so you could get away with less.

I would put another T5 in there, I know you say you can't get one in but I bet you could. If you're using reflectors and plants that aren't very high light demanding, you should get away with it.

Someone else will go into greater detail or have a look in the Tutorials section - Lighting in the planted aquarium, Aaronnorth goes to a lot of trouble to answer this question.