• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

t5 or t8

glenn

i bought a juwel rio second hand with a t8 lighting unit...and i want to buy some new lights but dont know if the light unit is t5 or t8.... :(

does any one know how i can tell the difference...(if this helps)the circumfrence of the lights on it now are 3" :bored:

thnkas in advance

Glenn,

The T8s come as standard on the jewel aqariums, It should say on the bulbs.

And I don't think the T5 bulbs will fit T8 units and visa versa.

Thanks

Darren

I dont understand, you bought it with a t8 unit, but you dont know if they are t8's?
t8 tubes are 1" in diameter, the same thickness as the striplights most people have in their kitchens/garage, whereas t5 is a thinner tube, only 5/8ths of an inch in diameter (the t-number refers to how many 8ths of an inch in diameter the tube is).
Juwel T5 tubes will also have "High-Lite" written on the tube
Chances are if the tank is more than a few years old, then they are t8, as juwels have only recently (in the last year or 2) introduced t5 tubes on their tanks
HTH
Joe

glenn said:
i bought a juwel rio second hand with a t8 lighting unit...and i want to buy some new lights but dont know if the light unit is t5 or t8.... :(

does any one know how i can tell the difference...(if this helps)the circumfrence of the lights on it now are 3" :bored:

thnkas in advance
sorry i meant to say "i bought a juwel rio second hand and dont know if the light unit is t8 or t5" how do you tell as i cant measure through the light for obvious reasons. but the circumfrence is 3"

:D thanks...had to get my sicentific calculator out my school bag then and then ask again how to do it on the awnser bank(another good general question forum) but i eventualy worked it out... :p

thing is :? i now have another question-(now i have figured out i need t8 lights) which of theses [url=http://www.juwel-aquari...ttp://www.juwel-aquarium.de/en/bersicht30.htm[/url]juwel lights would be best for plant growth. would it be the highest kelvin one?

Hi,
Kelvin ratings are irrelevant and there is no such thing as best bulb. All bulbs will grow plants equally well no matter their Kelvin rating. You would be better off finding Kelvin ratings that you like the look of to satisfy your aesthetic sense instead of worrying about which bulb grows plants "best." This concept is an illusion.

See this thread for some color comparisons. Cheap HO T5 fluorescent tubes - Update with photos The thread is written for T5's but similar colors are available for T8.

Cheers,

ahhh ok :lol: ...so all bulbs will grow plants the same-the chioce of the bulb depends on what tone of colour you like best!
wow thats opened up a whole new consept...there i was thinking a redish bulb wouldent grow plants!
i suppose ithe most dependant factor of bulbs to grow plants is the wattage
:D cheers for the help

Yep, red wavelengths are very useful and so are blue. Other colors are absorbed as well but with less efficiency. UV and infrared are harmful so the plant usually develops pigmentation strategies to attempt to reflect these, so I guess it wouldn't be a good idea to use UV bulbs but I've not tried it yet.

Avoid paying megabucks for designer bulbs marketed with meaningless propaganda... :idea:

Cheers,

there i was thinking a redish bulb wouldent grow plants!

Ooh that is the opposite to what the 'marketeers' want you to believe. lol

They want you to buy the pink bulbs with more in the red spectrum. lol

AC

Back