• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

T5 to led

robert kellow

Seedling
Ok I need some help I have a 375 litre tank that ran with 2x 54watt t 5 tubes I have replaced these with the fluval aquasky 30 watt led. What I want to know is this an equal replacement of do I need additional lighting. My plants are not doing to well

Without the PAR data of the output of the T5 tubes and the LED output a comparison is difficult, looking at wattage or even lumens doesn't really give a true comparison but in order of preference it's - PAR>lumens>wattage with wattage being a very poor comparison .
The beauty of most LED lights is most can be dim via a controller

The only compare you can look up is the T5 specs and the current led specs.

For example if it were Fluval T5 HO tubes you have been using.
Then the 54 watt version gives 4300 lumens.
https://fluvalaquatics.com/uk/product/life-spectrum-t5-ho-fluorescent-bulb-3/

In your case x 2 = 8600

Now, this site only gives the Aquasky version 2.0 specs, which states for the 30 watt 1950 lumens.

x2 = 3900 lumens.

That's less than half the power the T5 give. :) That's likely why you experience a difference.

But this is just a guess and example. And you should search the specs of what you used (T5) and currently are using (Aquasky LED) to get to a comparison.

Than you get a rough estimate. Comparing only lumen between led and T5 doesn't say it all. T5 needs a reflector that decreases 360° output. LEDs have a 160° beam angle down without reflector.

This the PAR data as said above could still be in the same range at the bottom in between both.

I have only one of these fluvall 2.0 30 watt units as the woman in the aquarium shop said this was the equivalent of 2x54 watt tubes

Well as said, the Fluval site linked to above states that the 30 watts LED are 1950 lumen. And the fluval T5 x 54 watts is 4300 lumen each of which you had 2. How the Lady gets to this conclusion is rather mysterious. I find that hard to believe.

Maybe she misunderstood you and was referring to 1 tube vs 1 LED unit. In my gut feeling, this comes close.

But with a naked eye, you really can't tell what the difference really is. Without proper equipment, we can not argue with the label.

I think I will get another unit and see how it pans out. Thanks for your help and I will update later to see if it makes much difference to my plants.

You don't mention aquarium dimensions

Fluval Aquasky uses multiple low intensity, low watt LEDS in their design so it’s not going to provide significant substrate PAR in tanks deeper/taller than 45cm (almost any T5 will out perform, add in decent reflectors and HOT5 or VHOT5 and your old fluorescent tubes may have delivered much higher substrate PAR)

Do you mean the older “Aquasky” or the Fluval Plant 2.0 (now 3.0 version)?

My plants are not doing to well
In general, or more so since changing over to the Fluval Aquasky?

It sounds like your LFS have sold you the wrong unit. With two 54W T5's they should have directed you towards the Fluval Plant 3.0, not the Aquasky. The Plant 3.0 is 54W at your aquarium size, and is 4250 lumens, more than double the output of the Aquasky.

So i read this on a web page which makes it more confusing

Though the number of lumens per watt is a useful calculation, it can sometimes be deceiving depending on the type of lighting to which it applies. LED lights, for example, use focused light energy and thus require fewer lumens to produce the same intensity of light. If you were to compare an LED light fixture rated at 400 lumens, you might be tempted to select another kind of bulb because it has a higher lumen rating. In reality, that LED fixture could actually produce a higher intensity of light despite using as little as half the lumens of other fixtures.

:)

Powerfull enough LEDs with a much narrower beam angle without the need of a reflector seem to create more PPFD.

Back