T6 Tubes In T8 Hood

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Toadeh, 7 May 2009.

1. Toadeh

Toadeh Member

Hi All,

This might have been answered but I can't find it. I've read somewhere that I can fit a T6 tube into my T8 fittings using some bushes? My tube is only a 15" one so I am wondering if it is worth changing it for a T6 tube, will I notice any difference?

My second option is just to add more light, but the mrs gave me the OK for a new tank once the cards are paid off and front room are decorated so I don't want to spend a fortune.

2. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

Hi,
    From what I've read, there are two conditions for using T6 in a T8 fixture. The first condition is that the T6 bulb must have the bi-pin (G13) connector at the ends so that they will fit into the T8 fixture. The second is that the T8 ballast must be an electronic ballast, not a magnetic ballast. If these conditions are met the T6 is purported to have similar output as a T5, which supposedly means up to a 40% increase in light output. I haven't verified any of this myself though.

Cheers,

3. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

I've got T6s in one of my tanks fitted into an old Juwel light unit and they certainly pack more of a punch than the T8s did. However unless you just want a small amount of extra light with such small bulbs I think you might be better getting another light rather than just switching bulbs as I'm not sure it'll make that much difference.