• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

T6 Tubes In T8 Hood

Toadeh

Hi All,

This might have been answered but I can't find it. I've read somewhere that I can fit a T6 tube into my T8 fittings using some bushes? My tube is only a 15" one so I am wondering if it is worth changing it for a T6 tube, will I notice any difference?

My second option is just to add more light, but the mrs gave me the OK for a new tank once the cards are paid off and front room are decorated so I don't want to spend a fortune.

Hi,
From what I've read, there are two conditions for using T6 in a T8 fixture. The first condition is that the T6 bulb must have the bi-pin (G13) connector at the ends so that they will fit into the T8 fixture. The second is that the T8 ballast must be an electronic ballast, not a magnetic ballast. If these conditions are met the T6 is purported to have similar output as a T5, which supposedly means up to a 40% increase in light output. I haven't verified any of this myself though.

Cheers,

I've got T6s in one of my tanks fitted into an old Juwel light unit and they certainly pack more of a punch than the T8s did. However unless you just want a small amount of extra light with such small bulbs I think you might be better getting another light rather than just switching bulbs as I'm not sure it'll make that much difference.

Back