• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

T8 Blublbs, When and what to chage them for...

Vito

Hey everyone,

I have had a unanswered question in the back of my mind no about light bulbs, I have been running the same bulbs for about a year and they don't seem to end, I am using 3 x Arcadia freshwater & 1 x Zoo Media Ultra sun, what the normal life expectancy of them and do I need to change them before they die, also is there any better bulbs available now seeing as I got these some time ago.

It is usually advisable to change them after a twelve month period as they are on a downward spiral - I heard Dennerle tube last approx. 18 months and then they start to drop off. As for different tube - have a look at lampspec as they have numerous different type of tubes available

Regards
paul.

I don't see any need to change you bulbs until they die. I've had bulbs that lasted almost 2 years. I think that's an Olympic Record for a PC bulb (I can fry an egg with a 55W T5 PC). What's the big deal? Why would it be advisable to change perfectly operative bulbs? So that the vendor can have a higher profit margin? Are you having problems in the tank that you feel might be light related? If this were the case, there would be only two possibilities:
A. There is too much light - result; algae.
B. There is not enough light - result; plants do not grow and wither away.

If you are not experiencing either of these then please explain why would you need to change the bulb?

More data in the thread Two new tubes...

Cheers,

Back