• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
cheers ady, the bees are cool, they are a great way to have high grades at a lower cost.
Got a bit of staghorn algae appearing which has made me rethink the filter situation. The eheim is great and i cant praise it enough but i will have to remove the plants from the filter as it makes cleaning it out almost impossible as the roots grow through all the sponges. So the philodendron will come out and replaced with a new plant idea, its a bit of a daft idea but might be fun...
Glass is in need of some cleaning and i need to rethink the lighting, the 11w CFL i have is only 30cm long, tank is 40, so some plants suffering from a lack of light which means i have to keep repositioning it. I have a 40cm LED from a client at work which is super bright visually but is untested on plants which i need to find some time to mount in a ADA aquasky style ripoff i will build from acrylic.
Aside from that not much going on, shrimp seem happy enough, mould on the sumatra wood persists and amanos have no interest, TDS stable at 135, added an eheim jager 50w heater as the reptile matt couldnt keep it stable while it was cold so may look into a controller to turn it on and off for me but the Jager heater is awesome! Temp doesnt move more than 0.1c either way of 21.5, best internal heater ive owned. Lots of ghost shrimp around so now just waiting to see some berried.
I added some bolbitus difformis, mainly as i'm considering it for some detailing in the 4' tank, i really want to like it but it looks like flat leaf parsley and i cant shake that thought. I hope its current leaf form in emersed and it will change however i dont have that long to wait lol

Also had a fiddle with the camera settings following a bit of advise from Ed, let me know what you think..?

IMG_4042_zps1be945a8.jpg

IMG_4050_zpsdb9b7b61.jpg

IMG_4057_zpsd2a0b986.jpg

I added some bolbitus difformis, mainly as i'm considering it for some detailing in the 4' tank, i really want to like it but it looks like flat leaf parsley and i cant shake that thought. I hope its current leaf form in emersed and it will change however i dont have that long to wait lol
Does anyone actually grow this stuff submersed successfully, i got the impression it may have been non aquatic when i tried it....did nothing at all.....but like you say could be a very slow burner.

Tank looking nice mate, riccardia and fissidens seem to be taking nicely and the shrimp look great.
Cheerio,

bit short on time for a full update ATM but all is going well aside some diatoms and BBA which i just discovered is because sunlight was hitting the tank at 6/7 am which is a time im not often conscious for, hopefully it shouldnt be an issue managing it and its fading already.
Anyway i did catch a pic that made me giggle so thought id share..
IMG_4073_zps46cece64.jpg

That is a quality smile, the shrimp must be happy :)
A bit oversaturated maybe. Try to turn saturation down just a bit.

cheers ed, they seem to to happy enough, just hoping to see some berried soon.
yeah, i didnt have time to change any settings as they wont stand still... quick point and shoot but maybe should have edited it better. Fortunately housemate just bought an imac and photoshop so im going to try and figure that out soono_O

Love that pic, Did not know your shrimp had a classification of grade SSSS. Just had to share the pic with the crustahunter himself and he liked it.

Berried shrimp :D Feels like its been a long wait to see some. I started dosing 0.5ml ferts a day so TDS has been rising through the week to around 145 and didnt water change this week as busy with the other tank and work, maybe these changes are what triggered it? Oddly there has been an explosion of red ramshorns too.
Anyway seen 4 berried and most of the other females are curling and flapping but no visable eggs. Is this getting ready to carry or has she ditched a load already?
IMG_4131_zps7c358715.jpg

As you can see BBA is a feature for the time being, only on hardscape and not spreading, the shrimp like picking through it. Ill deal with it another day..
IMG_4134_zps05cd7bbb.jpg

I hear the pitter patter of tiny feet in this tank :D yesterday spotted my first shrimplets, about 1-2mm long. Counted 9 which i hope means where are from just the smiley face as the other 6 are still berried. What is amazing is i noticed she had dropped the eggs on sunday night and now she is berried again!! Can only guess that she was getting jiggy while still berried the dirty slut :lol:

Sadly havent seen any pandas or blue bolts :( I can see the numbers in this tank are going to rise pretty rapidly over the next month or two.
I know its just one young tank so hard to really tell but the number of berried shrimp does seem to go up when i remember to use BT-9, might have to investigate this a little...

Will try and grab some images later...

Great news mate, they must be happy with several berried :)
Any chance of an up to date photo?

grubby tank shot. All is well though, slowly working the bba out and shrimplets getting braver by the day. Counted 14 today.

See how many you can spot :)
Freetimejpg_3_zps7de8a80f.jpg

and spotted this bad boy, you cant imagine the grin on my face lol
Freetimejpg_1_zps8ba8fedf.jpg

Great looking tank. I like the scape you've done.

I have the same light as that - be aware that that bracket is really weak. I'd be very nervous about having that light over an open topped tank. I've been through two cracked brackets in 9 months. My tank has a glass top and one day I just came home to find the light resting on top of the lid as the bracket had given way. :eek: Like I said, it's happened twice now so I give up with those brackets.

im going cross eyed trying to see babies in there mate lol. can see 1 on the branch though

lol, think there is 8 in that pic however cant really see them in the reduced size pic.
Counted 26 this morning, seems that all the berried mums are dropping at the same time... maybe its the warm weather?! Pretty hard to tell but think ive seen 2 pandas one of which is also blue and one that may turn out to be a red wine.
When people talk about survival rates, is that the survival rate while berried as that number seems to reduce the longer mum carries for or is it after hatching to sub adulthood?
Its quite suprising how quickly they grow too, would guess about a mm a day.

lol, think there is 8 in that pic however cant really see them in the reduced size pic.
Counted 26 this morning, seems that all the berried mums are dropping at the same time... maybe its the warm weather?! Pretty hard to tell but think ive seen 2 pandas one of which is also blue and one that may turn out to be a red wine.
When people talk about survival rates, is that the survival rate while berried as that number seems to reduce the longer mum carries for or is it after hatching to sub adulthood?
Its quite suprising how quickly they grow too, would guess about a mm a day.

I was reading on another forum somewhere (cant remember which one) where a breeder simulates the water conditions of shrimps natural habitats ie down pours etc which cool the water and then he upped the temp to 25 and hed see the majority of his shrimp all buried.
Im hoping I get lots of babies from my current crs and some cbs ive got arriving friday

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Update time, all going well aside some crypt parva showng some deficientcies so tried up'ing the fert dosing a little but this was throwing the TDS out of wack, rose to 180 in a couple of days. Along with the high temps i didnt want to chance it so reduce back to 1ml a day with 10% wc every 3 days. Gave it a bit of a clean and added some elantine just to try low tech. Im a little nervous about upsetting the tank too much at the moment so still in need of a proper clean and finish dealing with the BBA.
9223180631_54649dd186.jpg
feeding time by iainsutherland24, on Flickr

Also spotted some nice shrimplets, they are tiny though 1-2mm so early days.
Shadow panda
9225958606_5306abdda9.jpg
shadow panda by iainsutherland24, on Flickr

And over the moon to see a king kong :D
9225958632_850504b8f6.jpg
King Kong by iainsutherland24, on Flickr

Now im going to have to consider another tank to separate higher grade, tank 4 here we come?

Back