• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Taiwan Bee not so nano

So cool.
how do you find the mixing of shrimp? I’ve fancied adding a few types of cardinia to my sons nano, but have always been put off by not keeping the strains pure......I want to just get over it and do a mix now. Such a cool and impressive tank for many reasons mate :thumbup:

So cool.
how do you find the mixing of shrimp? I’ve fancied adding a few types of cardinia to my sons nano, but have always been put off by not keeping the strains pure......I want to just get over it and do a mix now. Such a cool and impressive tank for many reasons mate
Hey fella, caradina mix pretty well, at least for a while. They dont go muddy or revert to wild colours like neos will. Having the Taiwan gene means the patterns hold better which I think is the main advantage. If you want some Taiwan's mate just drop me a pm

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Love this tank, can I have all those Buce's please?? haha Featured on the UKAPS Facebook Page :)
Thanks mate.

They may be coming out, I get the feeling the tank would benefit from a freshening up pretty soon... catching the shrimp is whats causing the procrastination!

Hey fella, caradina mix pretty well, at least for a while. They dont go muddy or revert to wild colours like neos will. Having the Taiwan gene means the patterns hold better which I think is the main advantage. If you want some Taiwan's mate just drop me a pm

Thanks Iain, I may well take you up on that when the nano is finally running.....bloody superjet filters delayed due to COVID. Tank looks epic though, hope you are well?

Had a couple of serious trims in this over the past weeks so it's all looking a lot roomier now. Otherwise all is well and not much to report
Its amazing how quickly the buce recover and multiply, in just a few weeks where the stem is cut as many a 4 new stems will begin to appear.

7a2c9a8d8c4fe3dfecb55896c7cb2e8a.jpg
ccb57b9ebd71af643290b7b566a89c35.jpg

Do you always have that many in flower? I've noticed that whilst my anubias don't flower often my buce's seem to have lots, though not anywhere near to the extent of your fine floral display. Wondering if the pruning (I don't really trim them) stimulates them to flower.

Do you always have that many in flower? I've noticed that whilst my anubias don't flower often my buce's seem to have lots, though not anywhere near to the extent of your fine floral display. Wondering if the pruning (I don't really trim them) stimulates them to flower.
I dont remember them ever not being in flower and looking back it seems all images are full of flowers just hadn't really noticed. Ive no idea what stimulates it though as previous tanks havent been so prolific.

Evening all,

So this tank was getting pretty over grown so gave it a severe trim today. I'd actually forgotten it was maple leaf rock in there as it's been hidden for a year or two. I didnt remove any plants, just trimmed the bucephalandra back. It was quite surprising how dense and branched the original plants were, as you may have seen in the sale section just over 70 stems were removed. Its takes about 4 weeks for the cut stems to properly sprout new growth so I'm interested to see how long it takes to come back fully.
Shrimp numbers are also crazy and breeding is clearly going on this year already as when clearing out hundreds of tiny shrimp were forced out of hiding, surprisingly quite a few blues and pandas which I last saw baby blues about 6 months ago. This does also make it obvious that the more interesting shrimp are just not making it to adulthood, as I'm yet to have any interesting adult shrimp like king kongs, red wine or blue bolts. To try and remedy this I will now be increasing powder baby foods and decreasing the adult feeds, hopefully this will show improved survival rates.
I'm also really keen to remove the needle leaf microsorum as the shrimp nibble all the fresh shoots meaning ugly damaged leaves that attract bba, luckily it doesnt spread anywhere else in the tank. I'm open to alternative low maintenance suggestions....??

Attachments

• PSX_20210213_231547.jpg
    PSX_20210213_231547.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 250
  • PSX_20210213_231638.jpg
    PSX_20210213_231638.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 255
Oh and for anyone interested the ficus has actually now taken over the kitchen, even comes out the other side and the top of the extractor 🤯

Attachments

• PSX_20210213_234618.jpg
    PSX_20210213_234618.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 259
You just read my mind! I was wondering how big it has got and whether it attaches so well that if removed you need to paint the wall again!

You just read my mind! I was wondering how big it has got and whether it attaches so well that if removed you need to paint the wall again!
It does get a trim every few weeks as its rampant, luckily the paint is eggshell so can scrub off the suckers pretty well.

Haha, I actually thought it was a wall stencil the first time I saw it.
Looks great ;)
It's funny, no end of people would eat a meal at mine and think the same until they actually touch it normally hours later 🤣 pre covid of course...🤪
Hope your well mate👍

king kongs, red wine or blue bolts. To try and remedy this I will now be increasing powder baby foods and decreasing the adult feeds, hopefully this will show improved survival rates.
Often these extreme color morphs are slower growers and less resilient

You’d likely have better success if you move these to their own tank, and slowly establish a colony that throws more KK, RW, BB etc by culling plainer offspring (for sale, other tank)

I’d also try selling off a good portion of the larger adults (keeping behind enough of each variant just in case)

Often these extreme color morphs are slower growers and less resilient

You’d likely have better success if you move these to their own tank, and slowly establish a colony that throws more KK, RW, BB etc by culling plainer offspring (for sale, other tank)

I’d also try selling off a good portion of the larger adults (keeping behind enough of each variant just in case)
Agreed and have several more ranks sitting around, just the idea of more tanks doesnt fill me with joy...
I think a better option may be similar to you and sell off most of the standards once spring comes, unfortunately the affordability of more fancy varieties means the demand for normal Taiwan's bees is pretty low.

Back