• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Talk to me about moss...

Fisher2007

Yet another question if I can.....

I see there are various types of moss available but I'd like to understand the main pro's and con's to the common ones to help me decide what to go for

Basically I'm looking for something to attached to redmoor root in my soon to be new tank (which is now ready for collection!). Tank is 220 litres and 1400 long Lighting is going to be a twinstar 1200 and I will be using co2 (for the first time, which could be interesting)

Thanks

It depends on the look you're after. In addition to Ed's link perhaps check out the moss descriptions and pictures on Tropica's or Aquarium Gardens' website. Most are easy to grow and will attach to hardscape, and all will benefit from additional CO2. My personal favourites are mini Christmas moss and Fissidens. They both tend to grow compact and densely with CO2.

When it comes to attaching moss I find it's best to cut it in to small pieces around 5-10mm and either use gel superglue or thread to attach it exactly where you want it to grow. That way it will grow evenly and compact from the outset without any straggly bits, and pretty much stay that way with minimum trimming.

Back