• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tank backgrounds

LondonDragon

Administrator
UKAPS Team
Hi guys,

Setting up a betta tank using a 30cm cube and would like to put a background on it.

Thinking frosted or black, where do you guys buy them from?

Cheers
Paulo

Id go for frosted film can buy from ebay etc very easy and cheap and easy to apply with soapy water.

I have previously had black and frosted, frosted looks better IMO.

Looking forward to tank no 2

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

What type of betta are you going for ?
Tank is for the missus, she wants a full black Betta.
White sand, some river rocks, with a bonsai tree piece of wood, riccardia as the leaves on the bonsai, Lilaeopsis mauritiana around rocks for details and maybe some moss also around rocks (I have available round pellia, taiwan, mini xmas, fissidens)
Thats the request and I have to make it happen! lol

Been thinking frosted also as it will give better contrats for the fish!

Thanks for the suggestions guys :)

Remember it will need somewhere to rest level with the surface
I’ve had lots that have slept above the water surface

Happy to get you a black Male when you need it

Yes frosted background will show him off better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

full black Betta.
Definitely avoid the dark backgrounds (even medium blues will look dark unless it’s the sort of Lightground with LEDs) then - assuming the missus wants to actually see the fish ;)

Also be very careful with black Betta sourcing as there are genetic issues with “all black” in Bettas so you want to support a reputable breeder/farm

And because I just can’t resist (once again :oops: )

Note these are Thai Bettas and color names may vary significantly between countries, and even breeders
(though if the breeder is showing fish, then there is some standardization)

Please include some broad leafed plants such as Anubias, Bettas love to rest inside/on these leafs

If you’re going to have much current in the tank, avoid
- dumbo or “big ear” variants
- extended metallic mask
- rosetail
- OHM (over half moon)
- transparent fin types

Never gone frosted, but regret going black, especially in my larger heavily planted 1500mm tank. Seemed like a good idea at the time but in all honesty it has seriously reduced the lighting capabilities at the back of the tank. Plants still grow, but a lot slower than mid and foreground.

Never gone frosted, but regret going black, especially in my larger heavily planted 1500mm tank. Seemed like a good idea at the time but in all honesty it has seriously reduced the lighting capabilities at the back of the tank. Plants still grow, but a lot slower than mid and foreground.
Why not pull it off, clean it up and try something different?
I had a picture printed once, was never quite what I wanted and more of an experiment really.
Would have gone lighter with the picture and maybe it could have worked but not so sure, the right shade of hazy summer blue sky backlit I think can work in the right situation, much like what ADA offer.

Best photos I have to give you any kind of idea, backlighting was only a quick play around and did make a difference when main tank lighting was on but I haven't got a picture of that.
20190711_101344.jpg
20190613_211108.jpg
20190613_211141.jpg

Happy to get you a black Male when you need it
Many thanks, my local store ADC had some the last couple times i visited, they did seem expensive for bettas from what I remember back in the day, used to pay £5-6 for a betta, now it seems more like £20-50!!

Definitely avoid the dark backgrounds (even medium blues will look dark unless it’s the sort of Lightground with LEDs) then - assuming the missus wants to actually see the fish
Yeah, I have just purchased the ONF Flat Nano LED of a UKAPS member so that should look good in there ;)

Please include some broad leafed plants such as Anubias, Bettas love to rest inside/on these leafs
thanks for the tip, I do have some Anubias I will play around with in this tank, Petite and Pangolino!

Going to put a lid on this one, so going with an internal filter which I am not 100% happy about, so I will see, last open top tank I had a Betta in, it jumped out and I don't want to wake up one morning and find my Betta dried up on the floor again!

And in the end went for the frosted background off Amazon, brought a big enough roll which if I like it I will apply it to my A900 also! Many thanks guys :)

Also be very careful with black Betta sourcing as there are genetic issues with “all black” in Bettas so you want to support a reputable breeder/farm

And because I just can’t resist (once again :oops: )

Note these are Thai Bettas and color names may vary significantly between countries, and even breeders
(though if the breeder is showing fish, then there is some standardization)
[/QUOTE]

I tranship fish and NiceBetta Thailand regularly sends fish to the our UK customers

There are not many good quality pure black Bettas to be found as mentioned above they have genetic problems unless you know who the breeder is and their line has a good reputation

So if you need help please don’t hesitate to say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if you need help please don’t hesitate to say
Many thanks :) I have to find out where ADC source their Bettas from, they had a few last time I visited for £22.50! maybe @Alex Papp can provide some info on that!

Just finalized the hardscape and the filter is now cycling with some media from my main tank, also the bonsai tree is now soaking too!

Had some issues applying the background as it came in a roll the sides curve and detaches from the glass, how do I get around this? Soak it in hot water maybe? I read about applying lots of soapy water, what type of soap? I just used some wash up liquid is that good?

Cheers :)

Many thanks :) I have to find out where ADC source their Bettas from, they had a few last time I visited for £22.50! maybe @Alex Papp can provide some info on that!

Just finalized the hardscape and the filter is now cycling with some media from my main tank, also the bonsai tree is now soaking too!

Had some issues applying the background as it came in a roll the sides curve and detaches from the glass, how do I get around this? Soak it in hot water maybe? I read about applying lots of soapy water, what type of soap? I just used some wash up liquid is that good?

Cheers :)
Hi,
We got some nice Bettas from Sunbeam Aquarium, Singapore last time. The Samurai HK was £75!! All imports come through dawngame, I was reading their Indonesia supplier list and the prices for us even are :eek::eek: . They have some nice other Betta species if you like small brown fish like me. The imported bettas seem to be more sensitive, we keep them in R.O. and feed frozen and live weekly.
Usually they're from Niel Hardy.

And for the background maybe try and flatten it with books?

in the end went for the frosted background off Amazon, brought a big enough roll which if I like it I will apply it to my A900 also!
Be interested to see the end result
Did you get the version with or without adhesive?
One just uses static to cling on (often the self-adhesive descriptor can be confusing) and the other (you've guessed it) has an adhesive backing and in my opinion is far better.
Although I've not used a translucent/frosted film, I've used plenty of black on aquariums and you don't see the adhesive when it's on, it's worth looking for a good quality one as some the adhesive isn't waterproof or as strong.

Maybe people will link in any they've used and include the type and a photo as I'm on the lookout too in the future. ;)

Did you get the version with or without adhesive?
Without, and its not that great, cheap thing! quite thick also hence it bends easy! Also the roll is not wide enough for the A900! so that is that!

Back