• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tank /Cabinet Builders

GlenD

So I've contacted ND aquatics and Prime Aquariums for some quotes on a 90cm / 36" aquarium. I do like the Aqua Evolution 900 but they are around 20" front to back and I only have 18". I've given up on the above two builders as they are trying to push me a standard 36x24x18 and don't seem to get the CUSTOM part of the build process when I'm trying to specify certain elements (they don't seem to understand what I'm asking for).

So I've seen A4L but the cost will go from around £430 from Prime to £1100 A4L.

Any other recommendations for a tank/cabinet makers?
Any off the shelf 36" or 90cm x 18" / 45cm?
Any pics of an open top, one-peice braced tanks? (I don't want to go full braceless, yet I don't want a hood ;))

yet I don't want a hood

It's never the hood preventing the tank to fall apart. Bracing is related to glass thickness vs height or simply is added for covering panels to be placed on top. If glass thicknes is suffient than braceless is not a problem at all. As the ADA 90P shows with 10mm at 90cmx45cm dimension. :)

Hi, that tank is very expensive, the same price but doesn’t come with the cabinet!

I prefer the aesthetic’s of a rimless tank, but not the evaporation and fish loss. So I want minimal bracing , mainly to sit covers on.

I was wondering if anybody had an open top braced tank.

The ADA style tanks are also able to “hold” covers - ADA includes (high quality) stainless steel clips with their “Cube Garden” aquarium series
You may chose to have a local glass shop cut the glass cover rather than purchasing ADA glass cover - check tank dimensions with equipment (my local glass shops declined the opportunity ;) so I purchased some of the ADA options), also check transmission quality of glass (and request non-sharp edges)

There are other manufacturers of similar style ADA Cube Gardens (transport is a significant factor in cost) but few have anything near the silicon quality (patented process which is also part of ADA aquarium cost) or glass clarity (again significant cost factor) ... there are many more options in UK & EU (local custom made tanks are either “garage style only”, or similar cost to ADA, UNS)

Did you approach EA re custom aquarium?
(compared to my local options, EA are a fantastic price)

Riverwood Aquatics deals in Beta Acuarious so may be worth asking after

EMMEL in Germany once made ADA tanks, they still manufacture custom tanks etc (obviously you would need to pick up or look for delivery options)

Also aquarium gardens do there own tank the same size as ADA but not as expensive but still very good quality give them a ring see what they can do for you

I've contacted ND aquatics
just have a read up on ND; my last experience of them was awful and know other people to have had the same - one only posting on here within the last month.
Be warned and stay away!

I was wondering if anybody had an open top braced tank
unsure why you would but as @alto points out you can get clips that sit over the top of the rim and will hold a piece of glass.
You can always get mesh screens that fit in these brackets too and then add an ATO if you're that worried about evaporation.

A Eurobrace is always an option as they tend to stop jumping fish but also make it hard work with inlets/outlets unless you plan on a sump which I'm sure you don't.

Aquarium Connections make about the best aquariums in the country and you can have things such as mitred corners which look great.
It's all about money though and if you can find the right aquarium can you find the right cabinet without paying through the roof?

I agree with Andrew. ND Aquatics aren’t great. I’ve had one, wouldn’t use again.

It really depends on what you after, if you like the low minimal silicone, super clear glass and smooth clean edges. as others have said you are going to have to pay for it. If you just want a fish tank go with ND.

Again, as others have mentioned, I donot understand why you would want a fully braced tank and then take the hood off. To be honest it’ll look pretty rubbish in comparison to perhaps what you really want. You either want an open open top or you don’t, or am I missing something?

If you are worried about the open top, get floating plants, glass covers for it to one of the smart meshes that the marine guys use.

Think about scaping, very hard to get hardscape through the gaps in a braced tank and you lose the benefit of the top down view.

Up to you but you perhaps need to decide what you really want before you commit.

Just food for thought!

I am still 50/50

1: Open top braceless
2: Pelmet with glass covers

Is there any pics of the covers on a braceless tank?

I'm not overly concerned with ultra thin silicone etc.. An opti-white front and sides with clear, clean and neat silicone would be fine.

An opti-white front and sides with clear, clean and neat silicone would be fine.
In my area this costs much the same as ADA or UNS, both of which are notably higher quality glass and silicone work
On larger tanks, they may come in 10% cheaper (than ADA, UNS) ...

If possible, go and look at aquariums built by alternate manufacturers
Ask for 5-10 (recent) references with photos of finished product
Make sure you know warranty details!

If you just want a fish tank go with ND
It depends if @GlenD wants it sent the right size for a start, let alone other problems
I know @Ryan Thang To uses someone he trusts and says are good value for money - he swears by them but can't remember who they are so maybe try asking him.

Is there any pics of the covers on a braceless tank?
I guess this is not option 1 or 2 but it gives you another option. These screens you make up to whatever size you like and can add cutouts etc for inlets/outlets so maybe it's another to consider - mainly for jumping fish.
I had the old version which you needed to use clips like the ADA but with the new version you don't looking at things
https://www.theaquariumsolution.com/product/8167/295

just have a read up on ND; my last experience of them was awful and know other people to have had the same - one only posting on here within the last month.
Be warned and stay away!

My latest tank was from ND aquatics. Very poor customer service from start to finish. The finishing on the tank also isn't great.
I'd avoid to be honest. I would pay a lot more to avoid using them.

Bali Vaquero’s home tank as part of the Felix project, video by Filipe Oliveira

Beta Acuarious Line tank 80 x 45 x 45 (which seems a popular size in Spain, Portugal aquascapes)

Back