Tank for moss and emersed growing - DONE :)

Discussion in 'Hardware & DIY' started by Tony Swinney, 23 Nov 2009.

1. Tony Swinney

Tony Swinney Member

Hi

I've designed a 'growing' tank, which will have several compartments for moss / plants which will be submersed, plus two larger compartments for emmersed growth of plants.

Its going to be built out of acrylic, and a friend has already computer cut all the pieces for me at his work. My first question is what is the best stuff to use for gluing the acylic tank together ???

I have aquarium sealant, but it doesnt mention acrylic on the instructions, just glass. Will this be OK to use ?

Heres a sketch of the setup (the heat cable may not be used, but is an option) ...

Moss_tank.jpg

Any thoughts appreciated !

Cheers

Tony

2. JamesM

JamesM Member

Re: Acrylic tank for moss and emmersed set-up

Silicone simply wont adhere to perspex...

http://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/s ... .php?t=169

You should find bucket of the stuff on eBay, or via Google Shopping :thumbup:

Always test a small area on a off-cut beforehand :)

3. Tony Swinney

Tony Swinney Member

Thanks for that James, lots of useful info there :D I'll let you know how I get on

Tony

4. Tony Swinney

Tony Swinney Member

I got both Tensol 70, and Weld-On16 today, so will do some practise plastic welding tonight, and hopefully put it all together over the weekend :D

Tony

5. Tony Swinney

Tony Swinney Member

So the testing progressed quickly to building the proper tank :lol:

I now have the upmost admiration for folks who build acrylic tanks for a living - its very tricky stuff to work with !

The "adhesive" actually melts the acrylic, so that the 2 surfaces to be affixed melt together into one piece. This means there is no margin for error when it comes to placing the pieces together, and no room for sloppiness, as you cant wipe this stuff off - it starts to melt the acrylic instantly. The edges of the acrylic that are to be mated together also have to be perfectly smooth and square if theres any chance of gaining a watertight join. I found the Tensol 70 easier to use than the WeldOn16, as it is thinner and the capillary action means it draws itself into the joins. The Weld-on is a thicker substance which I've used around the base joints as you can build it up more, to form a stronger seal.

Luckily for me, this is only for a storage / growing on tank so I'm not too worried about the finish, but of course I'd like it to be good :lol:

This is where its at now - this is the base, and front panel facing towards the wall, plus the 2 end panels and a couple of strengthening ribs too:

mosstank_1_0654.jpg

Tomorrow I'll add in the central divider and "moss compartments" :D

Tony

6. JamesM

JamesM Member

Good start bud, you're flying along! :)

7. Tony Swinney

Tony Swinney Member

Cheers James :thumbup: I got the rest of it put together this afternoon, just leaving it to cure over night before a leak test tomorrow. Excuse the crappy iphone pics, but it gives you an idea !

Tony

The full tank, with lids in place:

mosstankbuild.jpg

This pic shows one of the back compartments, that I'll keeping mosses in. Each will have a water inlet like this one :D

closeup.jpg

8. JamesM

JamesM Member

Cool :D Not a lot of room for access to the moss chambers though, or am I wrong? What filter are you using bud?

9. Tony Swinney

Tony Swinney Member

Hi James

There are 5 moss chambers on the left which are 12cm x 12cm so I can just get my hand in there. Each moss is going to be on a branch within the chamber, so you can just lift the branch out :D The other two moss chambers on the right (I made it a bit different to the drawing) are 22cm x 12cm as i might use these for storing submersed plants aswell as mosses. All these chambers will be 230mm deep with water.

The front 'trough' is for emmersed growth, and is partially split in two so that the left half will have 100mm of substrate / water, and the right half will have 35mm of water in it.

I'm not going to run a filter on this initially. Instead I'm going to use a garden watering timer to open the valve on my RO / HMA storage tank and let 20 litres fresh water in every morning (thats about a 75% wc). The old water will run out to waste as it tops up. I have a spare eheim 2026 which I could add to this easily if I find it needs it, but I dont think it will.

Any thoughts and advice are welcome (from others aswell as you James :lol: ).

Cheers

Tony

10. glenn

glenn Member

cant beleive i only just noticed this! :shifty: it looks a very cool project tony and you must be excited as to weather it will all come together and work for you, it must be handy having a friend with access to machines that can do that sort of stuff!
    good luck to you with it, im excited for you :D

11. Tony Swinney

Tony Swinney Member

Thanks Glenn, this certainly wouldnt have happened without my mate doing all the acrylic for me - well worth the bottle a bottle of Bushmills :lol:

The leak testing is complete, and it passed :thumbup: so its now in situ, and I've just trialed the water system too. The overflow weirs are working great, and it looks like the garden timer will work a treat too, adding fresh water once or twice a day.

The inlet pipework has one small leak to resolve so I'll get onto that tomorrow night. I'm thinking of installing the heat cable in the front 2 compartments and the 2 larger rear compartments as these will house potted plants, so I'll probably add a covering of gravel too just to hide the cable and give a flatter surface :D

Cheers

Tony

Just filled:
    _MUS3395.jpg

Overflowing the front weir:
    _MUS3400.jpg

The whole system running, and overflowing:
    _MUS3402.jpg

12. andyh

andyh Member

Re: Tank for moss and emmersed growing - DONE :)

Hey

That looks very proffesional!

Cant wait to see what you can grown in it!

Are you going to do a journal?

Andy

13. JamesM

JamesM Member

Re: Tank for moss and emmersed growing - DONE :)

I want one! :D

14. Dan Crawford

Dan Crawford Founder Staff Member

Super cool Tony, absolutely love it!

15. AdAndrews

AdAndrews Member

beastly 8)

16. viktorlantos

viktorlantos Aquascaper

wow nah that's a top qual DIY project.
    can not wait to see the plants grow there.

great work mate :thumbup:

17. Stu Worrall

Stu Worrall Forum Moderator Staff Member

Top build tony, looks really good! You have to change your name to Moss_Farm_Tonser now :D

18. Tony Swinney

Tony Swinney Member

Thanks guys :thumbup: I'm looking forward to getting it stocked at the weekend :D

Or perhaps RottingMoss_Farm_Tonser depending on its success :lol:

Tony

19. Graeme Edwards

Graeme Edwards Founder Staff Member

Bitchin mate... As always Tony, when you do something, you do it right....make me sick :sick: :lol:

Love ya work mate...respect.

20. john starkey

john starkey Member

wow tony thats a nice looking propogater,i wish you all the best with this project,i am sure it will work with your loving care, :thumbup: ,
    regards john.