• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tank Refurb... Asian

justissaayman

Hello All

So I have this Juwel Rekord 96 (80 liter) which I will be moving to my new home soon as we actually move and thus its a chance for a redo on the tank.

Im still in two minds on what to do with this, but im leaning strongly to a 'not-so-strict' Asian Biotope.

This tank was intially a Shrimp only tank and then I converted/divided it to house my betta's. Long story short, they jumped the divider so attacked each other so my veiltail now has his own 30liter...

Equipment:
Eheim 2213 with spraybar
20W Interpet T8 light

This tank will house:
1x Crowntail betta
2x Ancistris
?x Shrimp (Cherries) and Assasin Snails

Questions:
Plant suggestions for this tank? I was thinking Twisted Vallis as a background/mid plant with lots of Java Ferns, Anubias SP. Petite/Bonsai and a asian Crypt. Any advice is highly appreciated.

What mosses will work well?

What other fish could I add with the betta? I was thinking Galaxy Rasbora or Scissortail Rasbora? A nice big school and maybe some pugmy cories.

Can I just dose my usual 1ml of EasyCarbo and Profito?

Found Celestial Pearl Danios (Galaxy Rasbora at 25 quid for 10 so I think I might be going for 20 of those. I also found massive pieces of redmoor root. So I will be planting lots of Crypts and Anubias in between.

WNJA8KN.jpg

2SsaAiE.jpg

Sounds like a great project and a superb fish choice cpd's are my favourite fish.
Will keep an eye on this one

thanks sa80. Might do a tropica base capped with Unipak Fine Light sand.

Will Malasian Trumpet snails bring the darker base up to the surface?

£25.00 for 10 is good, I paid the same for 6 from MA several weeks ago and they had some today, a slightly paler variety at the same price.
They are quite lively little fish and the only time I get to see most of them together is at feeding time, my experience is they tend not to shoal.

Thanks Natty, would it then be smarter to maybe look at the other Rasbora's in large numbers? Just dont want to stress the Betta and really love the look of a school. Saw some Diamond Neon Tetra today in a school and WOW, my mind was blown

Im no where near experienced enough to be able to advise you with a great deal of certainty but I would imagine if your sand cap is a good depth then you should be fine, also if your just planning to have vallis at the back then just using tropic base where these will be planted and the rest of the tank just the sand this will also limit the risk of it being brought to the top. I hope that makes sense ive read it back 3 times and still cant decide

Mark

Good idea. i might do the plant sunbstrate in the rear and some of the mid areas where the crypt will be planted and seeing as the rest of the plants will be tied to something i might not need as much.

Will the T-Espei not anger the Betta?

I used to have 6 emerald eye rasboras that under the right light look very nice, but may seem a little plain otherwise, down to only 2 now though.
They may be too big for a large school in 80L, they do seem to like the higher margins of the tank though so are good for a layering effect.

Ok so last night got a little superfish 30liter tank for 11 quid on ebay so the betta might move. That means that this entire biotope could go anywhere...

Also saw some Electric Blue Balloon Rams which were STUNNING!

For this I need your advice?
*Venezuelan Biotope - What fish (?) as I saw some Orange Lazer Cories which I fell in love with at £21 each and will this tank be able to house Discuss? or Gourami?
*Mangrove tank with only grasses and roots?
*or should I just stick to the Asian Biotope

0957E05.jpg

Y1dHxDB.jpg

Some extra plants I am debating:
  • Eleocharis parvula
  • Hygrophila corymbosa
  • Hygrophila corymbosa 'Siamensis'
  • Cryptocoryne crispatula
  • Monosolenium tenerum
  • Staurogyne repens
Thoughts?

Update: Asian its going to be! Just bought some Harlequin Rasbora's! Also got some crypts from a friend so heading in the right way.

I have a couple of those cories, they look great in a tank and have great little personalities, always being busy rummaging about. They are expensive, got mine for £16 each from MA's

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Back