Tank Two - DOOA 60P

Tim Harrison

Super Moderator
Staff member
The problem I have is that I want to dry start. I don't therefore want to wait until after to see if they float
Secure them to rocks if you're scaping with rocks. Or use pieces of slate which will be hidden under substrate if not.
one thing im not sure on however is whether to remove the remaining bark?
Yes definitely remove the bark. Random dead wood found out and about is prone to releasing organics anyway, rotting bark will undoubtedly make matters worse.
Either way I would definitely soak the wood for at least a couple of weeks first to see how it behaves.

Really stylish set up btw 👍

alto

I’d definitely sink test the wood in the empty glass box - once dried out, some woods can be very reluctant to sink again, also some wood is much more buoyant and requires more weight than expected to counterbalance this

For dry start, Jurijs mit JS has been playing around with this for awhile now and has some excellent tips (beginning ~40 min if you’re not interested in the whole tutorial, also mentions his “moss-mud method” which may be useful depending on type of moss and surface etc)

Awesome stand updates!

DannyH

Thanks for the advice guys. I will be going about removing the bark soon, and am still pondering the dry start.
The above video certainly sent me down a youtube rabbit hole :D

UPDATE
The hardware is now all assembled. I still have a bit of steel to cut off the inline tap brackets, but otherwise I'm happy with where its got to.
I'm a little concerned the light might be a bit close to the surface, I suppose i'll have to wait and see.
Next on my to buy list is filter media. I think i've narrowed it down to Seachem matrix, which i'll need about 4l of to mostly fill the canister filter.
Whilst im waiting for this to arrive ill be playing with the hardscape. I've already made a start (not stripped the bark yet), but i'll hold of until the next hardscape update to show it in more detail.

01 NEW.jpg

NEW 5.JPGNEW 2.JPGNEW 3.JPGNEW 4.JPG

Thanks for the great input so far, always appreciated,

Danny

alto

filter media. I think i've narrowed it down to Seachem matrix, which i'll need about 4l of to mostly fill the canister filter
Most filter media will work just fine :)
I use Eheim as when I bought Eheim filters, I ended up with a lifetime supply of their media (it’s rare to need to replace ceramic/lava type filter media, though sponges tend to have a limited lifetime, and obviously filter floss will clog more and more (though I always try cleaning first, and often reuse))

For a 60P I’d not worry about filling the filter with media - ADA recommends significant carbon media during tank startup, though I’ve never tried this so no idea if it makes much difference- other than clear sparkling water (very limited ADA filter/media availability) - it’s good to have mechanical, chemical, biological types for (physically) cleanest, clearest water

LondonDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Most filter media will work just fine
Have to agree, I am using alfagrog in my filter, cheap and cheerful, eight quid for 2Kg! also wash the fine filter pads a couple of times before replacing, don't usually replace the coarse pad.