• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tank Two - DOOA 60P

DannyH

Hi folks,

A couple of years away from this but looking forwards to my second ‘High-Tech’ setup. I’ll be going for a densely planted jungle type forest thing. Lots of experimentation with hopefully some nice emerged growth.
Still collating the equipment and have only just began installing the initial bits.
Hoping to dry start at some point in the next couple of months? Thoughts on species so far, any advice welcome!

[*Disclaimer: Updates may be infrequent]

Kit

Tank:
DOOA 60P
CO2: Fire extinguisher. Inline Atomiser/ Diffuser,
Light: ADA Solar 1
Fertilisers: EI dosing
Filter: ADA Super Jet ES 600 EX
Heater: N/A
Substrate: TMC Nutrasoil, black

Plants

Epiphytes

Hygrophila pinnatifida
Riccardia chamedryfolia
Fissidens fontanus

Lawn
Echinodorus tenellus
Eleocharis sp mini

Mid-Ground
Hygrophila pinnatifida

Stem
Rotala rotundifolia
Rotala 'Vietnam H'ra'
Ludwigia hottania

Fish
Puntius titteya - Cherry Barb

setup.jpg Pipes.jpg

Last edited:
Is it going to be plumbed in? I’m trying to see if the pipes vanish into your skirting board?

I like the wall you’ve got it up against :)

It's a little bit deceiving. They aren't plumbed into the skirts, just currently resting on it. Ultimately they'll be clamped at the correct/ higher level of the tank with some splitters/ hose taps beneath.

Interesting setup! How do you clean the pipes? :rolleyes:

With a long pipe cleaner! But I've never really found much to come out. No light no algae?

It's a little bit deceiving. They aren't plumbed into the skirts, just currently resting on it. Ultimately they'll be clamped at the correct/ higher level of the tank with some splitters/ hose taps beneath.

With a long pipe cleaner! But I've never really found much to come out. No light no algae?

Very deceiving indeed, throught the filter was going to be hidden elsewhere ;)
Pipes tende to get some gunk regardless but now you mentioned the above makes sense and cleaning is just like any other pipe!
I am going metal on mine also but not that long :)

The latest on the plumbing front are these Stainless hose couplings that I've been putting together (these will do exactly the same as the plastic Eheim ones on sale). There won't be any exposed thread once I've wrapped in PTFE tape and tightened up, but I need to swap the taps for larger ones before I do (1/4 bsp > 3/8 bsp) as the internal diameter of these was a little smaller than I thought it would be. Hose barbs will then be affixed to either end, and onto sorting some white hose.. :oops:

taps.jpg

Last edited:
Update. I’ve knocked together a stand out of some plywood. I think it might be temporary though. I’m toying with the idea of putting together a steel one that will again be cross braced and powder coated white. I want to get some stainless clamps to attach the white 'night' light that i've introduced at the back. The piece of wood is one I couldn’t resist getting from The Aquatic Design Centre. I think the scale works quite nicely in the tank but I'm not going to go with it for this scape. I was struggling to get the rest of the hardscape to work with its scale as I don’t have any corresponding wood. It would also be quite difficult I’m thinking to grow moss on due to the diameter i’d have to tie twine around. Instead i'm going down a more ‘branchy’ route with a good covering of mosses/ Hygrophila Pinnatifida. I’ll try and put up some precedent scape images soon.

Tank initial.jpg

Inspiring :wideyed:

I’m especially taken with those looooong pipes to nowhere (or somewhere ... perhaps even an alternate dimension)

For the made valves, take note of the narrowest bore as that will become the limiting flow dimension (check recommendations for the filter pump)

I was hoping you’d made the filter too :cool:

H tenellus vs E acicularis ‘Mini’ will pretty much become H tenellus

An excellent piece of wood - you may want to presoak this to check extent of tannins etc release - but this wood demands yoghurt (or skip the yoghurt, idea is small amount of plain, sour, loads of natural bacteria will limit mould growth)

Last edited:
Such a nice peice of driftwood and looks good already with the brick white wall. Also what is that table! How it staying up on 1 pole

Hi,
the stand looks cool, as does the setting.
Nice set up, I understand how you feel about the wood, but it is a gorgeous and an unusual piece which would make a great statement.
Cheerio,

Moss videos

Thanks for this Alto! I've had crack at both the yoghurt and twine methods in the past and had good success when used with the dry start method (never tried moss pad method). I always find however that even with a very strong emmersed growth, without the twine the moss gets leggy after submersed as no new growth seems to attach to the wood after flooding. We will see!

Is that your bed near the tank? If yes, I would recommend making an isolation box for that noisy Ada filter.

lovely equipment and built ;)

Quick update.

No scaping as of yet, but a few hardware changes. I swapped out the wooden stand for a metal one that I welded up and got powder coated in white. It's a bit more open than the wooden one which is the look I'm going for. I also got an optiwhite & sand blasted shelf cut at a local glazier. Overall i'm really happy with how the stand turned out.

Having sold the DOOA tank, I visited aquarium gardens in Cambridge on Saturday with the intention of getting the taller version, but instead ended up getting an ADA 60p, the only difference really from the DOOA range is the optiwhite glass. I got some stainless clamps for mounting the 'evening light' to the outlet. I also got one of the wifi extension plugs which I've yet to set up.

I've upsized the taps since the previous post and found some internal diameter 12mm white silicone hosing that I really like (albeit expensive), and got an aluminium co2 diffuser.

I sanded the fire extinguisher and ordered one of the new co2 supermarket ultimate pro regulators which should be arriving soon.

Still a few hardware bits to go, but i'm visiting aquarium gardens again this weekend to pick up some syru stone. I have some wood I collected from a lake around 9 years ago. I'm hoping with a good soak it will eventually sink?

All going well I hope to be starting the hardscaping in the coming weeks, followed by a Dry Start.

More updates to come! :)

tank metal.jpg

Leave some rock weighing down the wood for a couple of weeks after filling the tank. That should do the trick. Otherwise cable tie some rock to the bottom.

A couple shots of the wood I collected from a freshwater lake a few years back. The problem I have is that I want to dry start. I don't therefore want to wait until after to see if they float. i'm thinking its best to flood for a while first with them submerged, and then glue/ tie down to the base/ rocks before adding the moss for the dry start. I intend to give them a good rinse/ scrub anyway to get rid of remnants of dried up algae, one thing im not sure on however is whether to remove the remaining bark?

wood 1.jpg wood 2.jpg

Last edited:
Back