• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tank Two - DOOA 60P

The problem I have is that I want to dry start. I don't therefore want to wait until after to see if they float
Secure them to rocks if you're scaping with rocks. Or use pieces of slate which will be hidden under substrate if not.
one thing im not sure on however is whether to remove the remaining bark?
Yes definitely remove the bark. Random dead wood found out and about is prone to releasing organics anyway, rotting bark will undoubtedly make matters worse.
Either way I would definitely soak the wood for at least a couple of weeks first to see how it behaves.

Really stylish set up btw 👍

I’d definitely sink test the wood in the empty glass box - once dried out, some woods can be very reluctant to sink again, also some wood is much more buoyant and requires more weight than expected to counterbalance this

For dry start, Jurijs mit JS has been playing around with this for awhile now and has some excellent tips (beginning ~40 min if you’re not interested in the whole tutorial, also mentions his “moss-mud method” which may be useful depending on type of moss and surface etc)

Awesome stand updates!

Thanks for the advice guys. I will be going about removing the bark soon, and am still pondering the dry start.
The above video certainly sent me down a youtube rabbit hole :D

UPDATE
The hardware is now all assembled. I still have a bit of steel to cut off the inline tap brackets, but otherwise I'm happy with where its got to.
I'm a little concerned the light might be a bit close to the surface, I suppose i'll have to wait and see.
Next on my to buy list is filter media. I think i've narrowed it down to Seachem matrix, which i'll need about 4l of to mostly fill the canister filter.
Whilst im waiting for this to arrive ill be playing with the hardscape. I've already made a start (not stripped the bark yet), but i'll hold of until the next hardscape update to show it in more detail.

01 NEW.jpg

NEW 5.JPG NEW 2.JPG NEW 3.JPG NEW 4.JPG

Thanks for the great input so far, always appreciated,

Danny

filter media. I think i've narrowed it down to Seachem matrix, which i'll need about 4l of to mostly fill the canister filter
Most filter media will work just fine :)
I use Eheim as when I bought Eheim filters, I ended up with a lifetime supply of their media (it’s rare to need to replace ceramic/lava type filter media, though sponges tend to have a limited lifetime, and obviously filter floss will clog more and more (though I always try cleaning first, and often reuse))

For a 60P I’d not worry about filling the filter with media - ADA recommends significant carbon media during tank startup, though I’ve never tried this so no idea if it makes much difference- other than clear sparkling water (very limited ADA filter/media availability) - it’s good to have mechanical, chemical, biological types for (physically) cleanest, clearest water

Most filter media will work just fine
Have to agree, I am using alfagrog in my filter, cheap and cheerful, eight quid for 2Kg! also wash the fine filter pads a couple of times before replacing, don't usually replace the coarse pad.

With the setup complete I've been playing with hardscape. The plan is to place river sand in the front section with mosses attached to the overhanging branches, with some buce's in-between . I chucked in a base of ADA powersand and ramped up the substrate pretty high. I had a big gluing session with the rocks and now need to strip the bark of the wood and glue it in place. Hopefully the rock work will stay in place throughout :oops: Still pondering on whether to dry start or not and need to get the filter media sorted, and then looking forwards to sorting out my EI dosing program also:D
front right.jpg

front.jpg left.jpg right.jpg top.jpg

Nice setup :) Looking forward to seeing it planted! Are you going to add a background?
Mm, I have pondered this for a good while. I think a frosted would work well, but the reality is that stems will ultimately cover the back 🤔

Last edited:
This is one of those rare setups you don’t see every day.
Well done!
If I was you, I would plant and flood the tank.
I’ve tried dry start and while it works fine for HC there’s no reason to do it with the rest of the plants.

Really top class set up, I’m following all the way with this one 👍👌

Thanks very much for the comments. Working towards getting the bark stripped off the wood and securing it down. Having a bit of an issue with the rocks on the right hand side edging forwards under the weight of the substrate. I’m wondering whether the best solution is to silicone the rocks to the base of the tank?

Thanks very much for the comments. Working towards getting the bark stripped off the wood and securing it down. Having a bit of an issue with the rocks on the right hand side edging forwards under the weight of the substrate. I’m wondering whether the best solution is to silicone the rocks to the base of the tank?

that'll work, but not all silicone is equal and it may not bind to the rocks too well.

On a side note, what are the arms supporting the desk?

Also, help me out - who made that pipework? (spraybar/inlet)

Lovely tank stand! Any chance u have measurements etc and what size pipe you used? Was going to try get something similar made for a 60p and if I had exact dimensions would be alot easier!

Also is there only a brace at the bottom between the front and back legs?

Thanks!

Also, help me out - who made that pipework? (spraybar/inlet)
Hi Castle, I made the pipes a couple of years back when i set up my first tank, a smaller 45p, I invested in a decent bender and bought some 12mm stainless 316 pipe, It was very easy once i had the correct tool, and i now have it at the ready should i want to make some new ones for a different flow pattern. (The arms supporting the desk are a pair of samples from work we got in to prototype a building facade module, which i repurposed afterwards ;))

LILY QUARTER.jpg Rough curves.jpg

would filter grid help stop it shifting?
Took this advice, thanks! am currently in the process of removing all of the soil and securing the grid between hardscape and tank, will update on progress :D

Lovely tank stand! Any chance u have measurements etc and what size pipe you used? Was going to try get something similar made for a 60p and if I had exact dimensions would be alot easier!

Also is there only a brace at the bottom between the front and back legs?

Thanks!
Hi mate, the stand is made from 25mm square section mild steel which a friend of mine welded together for me and I then cleaned up and got powder coated. Its the depth/ width of the 60p tank, and 72cm high. The pipes I cut to about 50cm in length, but that was random, you could do them to any size suiting your setup. Theres only one 'H' shaped brace in the stand which again is 25mm box section and sits beneath the glass, attached a few images :pompus:

25EC10CB-3E59-4DE8-9871-310DA844C267.JPG 140FA1FC-94BA-4B1A-9A55-34A073D536CA.JPG IMG_6057.jpg IMG_6061.jpg

Back