TBro's first tank

Discussion in 'Journals' started by TBRO, 10 Apr 2009.

1. TBRO

TBRO Member

Hey, was organising old photos and found a couple of shots of my first tank from 2 years ago. Aqua 40 from LFS with various guppies etc. I added a CO2 yeast system which worked pretty well in such a small set up. Eventually had three canisters in a row. Got some willow moss from Rhyl Aquaria and it grew pretty well. Wish I had stuck with a moss only set up looks a bit like one of Oliver Knott's scapes. I really liked the peacock gobies not sure why their not more available the colours and behaviour are great (I note recent PFK warning against them). I could never get the moss to grow in my new tank :mad:

dsc00305e.jpg

dsc00303r.jpg

dsc00392k.jpg

dsc00393cez.jpg

Enjoy T

2. glenn

glenn Member

what fish is that i cant wuite make it out...looks like some sort of kilifish maby :lol:

3. TBRO

TBRO Member

It's a peacock goby, I had a pair

4. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

Nice start, tank is looking nice, what you need is some more plants now ;)
    Whats your plans next?

5. TBRO

TBRO Member

Unfortunatley, the scape no longer exsists, I really loved that moss, very disappointed I couldn't salvage some for my current tank. My dad now has the tank, hoping he might get inspired by a trip to TGM....

6. TBRO

TBRO Member

Just out of interest my Dad decided to have a go and resurected this tank using lots of cuttings from my tank.
    Plants:
    Blyxa
    E.quadricostatus
    Java Fern
    Christmas Moss
    Glosso
    Hygro

Fish: 5 green Neons (very timid, no idea why :?: )

It's been set up a few months now, initially had terrible blue green algae but this was defeated by cutting the photo period and adding Easy Carbo and TPN +. I think a trip to TGM got him interested in fish keeping again. He used to go to Alison's in Cefn-y-Bedd, which was my first memory of proper aquascaping.

fishtank082.jpg

fishtank086.jpg

fishtank085.jpg

Enjoy, Tom

7. rawr

rawr Member

I really like it! Nice one. ;) Maybe the fish are timid because you've only got five - Neon Tetras are a shoaling fish and so like to be in groups of recommended at least six. Try getting a few more and see if that helps.

8. bazz

bazz Member

hi tbro,
    just out of curiosity, whats going on in the spraybar area in the last 2 photo's of the original scape?
    forgive my stupidity if its something obvious!
    cheers and thanx,
    bazz!

9. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Hey Bazz. I think I can answer this, as I have the same tank at home. It's not a spray bar, but the silver plastic trimming on the outside of the tank :)

10. TBRO

TBRO Member

Yeah as Steve says, no spray bar but also some sylvania roots dangling down.

Thanks, Tom

11. john starkey

john starkey Member

Thumbs up for us old guys :lol: :lol: ,

seriously your dads done a good job,nice little setup.

john.

12. TBRO

TBRO Member

Yeah, I know his blyxa looks so much better than mine does at the moment!

13. bazz

bazz Member

ahhhh! sylvania, thats what it is, thanx for satisfying my curiosity!

14. TBRO

TBRO Member

Just some pics of the ol Dad's tank. Looking pretty good I'd say, fish are still really shy despite adding more. Put some CRS in there which are helping with a few minor bits of algae.

dscf3822o.jpg

dscf3828t.jpg

dscf3829v.jpg