• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

TC420/421

Does the TC421 have auto time adjustment? For example for day light savings? Does it copy time over wifi automatically?

David, I'm going to get the 900EA, I wonder if the installation with tc420 will be like yours? The MOSFET you got is currently out of stock on Amazon and I can't find it anywhere else than ebay ( 2 months for shipping from china ). Can you recommend something else instead? Thanks a lot.
Check out the link below; not yet tried it but should be more simple to use - just need to check the size of your connections but THINK the Twinstar E have the same size connector as the Chihiros
http://www.hinterfeld.com/hinterfeld-programable-smart-controller-for-led-fan-dc-pump/

How would I connect a power supply to the TC?
How many volts do I need, 12v? How many amps? Which connection, female jack? Would I need a constant current driver? I can't find this anywhere so any help would be great. Thanks!

The TC has a standerd power supp jack plug for main power or via the input V+/V- screw connectors. So you can connect a power supply without a plug on it.
Depending on the LEDs you drive it needs DC 12 volt or DC 24 Volt input.. Mater a fact at 100% it puts the voltage out you put in, so this means anything between DC 12 and 24 volt will run this device. I did run DC 20 volt leds on it with DC 20 volt input. Just do not exceed over 24 volt.

It can run 4 amps per channel.. This makes Volt x Amp = Watt = 12 volt x 4 Amp = 48 Watt at DC 12 volt and 24 Volt x 4 Amp = 96 Watt on DC 24 volt per channel.

Thus 1 channel can handle 48 watt at DC 12 Volt x 5 = 240 watt total.. If you make sure you have a 250 watt PSU you can use the TC at full power any time even if you plan to ask less from it. The constant voltage power supply consumes what you take.

Obviously for DC 24 volt it's total capacity is 96 watt X 5 :) etc.

The TC has a standerd power supp jack plug for main power or via the input V+/V- screw connectors. So you can connect a power supply without a plug on it.
Depending on the LEDs you drive it needs DC 12 volt or DC 24 Volt input.. Mater a fact at 100% it puts the voltage out you put in, so this means anything between DC 12 and 24 volt will run this device. I did run DC 20 volt leds on it with DC 20 volt input. Just do not exceed over 24 volt.

It can run 4 amps per channel.. This makes Volt x Amp = Watt = 12 volt x 4 Amp = 48 Watt at DC 12 volt and 24 Volt x 4 Amp = 96 Watt on DC 24 volt per channel.

Thus 1 channel can handle 48 watt at DC 12 Volt x 5 = 240 watt total.. If you make sure you have a 250 watt PSU you can use the TC at full power any time even if you plan to ask less from it. The constant voltage power supply consumes what you take.

Obviously for DC 24 volt it's total capacity is 96 watt X 5 :) etc.
Thanks! I have a 12v light. So I should be running a 12v dc power supply into the TC. And then + and - wires straight into the light, is that correct?

I tried this ^ with a 6v and 16v (didnt try 12v yet cause dont have any) and neither worked, might it be that my light is just not compatible?
Thank you!

On the TC output side you have 1 V+ screw connector.. And 5 Ch connectors.. The Ch1 to 5 are the lights Negative wire.. So if you have 5 lights, you need to connect all 5 positive wires the the TC V+ output. And for each light a negative wire to the CH output.

LED 1 = positive to output V+ and negative to CH1
LED 2 = positive to output V+ and negative to Ch2
and so on for all 5..

it looks easier to install than TCs
I can confirm it fits straight onto a Twinstar E as I have tried it which is what I think you're getting, I've got a bit of work to do to make it fit my Twinstar S but that's only swapping the jack plugs over as they are a different size.
The on/off function works too but that's as far as I got before leaving for holiday.

I can confirm it fits straight onto a Twinstar E as I have tried it which is what I think you're getting, I've got a bit of work to do to make it fit my Twinstar S but that's only swapping the jack plugs over as they are a different size.
The on/off function works too but that's as far as I got before leaving for holiday.

Wow that’s great news for me since I’ve never tried wiring anything my whole life. I’m gonna order it right now. Thanks Andrew, enjoy your holiday.

Bought the TC420 yesterday. 2 of my 4 T5 lights where broken so i thought, its time to build in some LED :)
Ordered 1 white and 1 RGB led strip and can't wait to play with this new setup and build the LED into my current lighting system.

Found some modes here so i can test it (once the LED strips are delivered) :)

Once it all works i can modify the second lighting on the tank. But i think i will choose the white + warm white strips for this one.

But first i need to test if it all works. Lateron maybe i can play with the raspberry pi and see if i can add some extra's to it.

hmmmm can't open the modes i found. Unknow error in Pled :p

Last edited:
:) I no longer use RGB because it adds no other value than playing with ambient aesthetics.. It was fun for a short time, but to sacriffise 3 channels on it, it wasn't fun enough for that. Going with 5 channels white light only gives me more options and with using 3 different white colors (warm, natural and cool white) also have a enough color rendition to play with. Next to that, the smd rgb led strips are rather low in intensity and poor in quality they burn out relatively soon (it's 3 chips in one tiny surface per led after all they get warmer, it lowers the durability).. All this added, it doesn't realy add value to growing plants. That's my personal take on it.

There's a TC421?!?!?!?!??!? Why did I not know this!!!

I've been running a TC420 for years with 10M 5050SMD RGB/W strips and it's the best thing I've done for my aquariums.

I really wanted to run 4 x 10w RGB COB leds with the TC420 but am by no means electrically minded. I heard of people using LDD drivers taking a 5v signal off the transistor of the TC420 to control the drivers.

Glad I found this thread!

For the benefit of the record, I found that if you create a file after opening PLED without administrator privilages, when you save the file then go to open it again.... it will be empty.

As a rule, I ALWAYS create files after opening the program as admin. Not sure what the problem is but that's a workaround I found that might help the people who seem not to be able to open files properly.

I found that if you create a file after opening PLED without administrator privilages, when you save the file then go to open it again.... it will be empty.

That's probably because the default safe location for pled is program files folder (Install location). Than if you are not admin you do not have rights to safe in that folder. Try change the safe location to My Documents.. :) That'll do it i think.

Or reinstall the program and change the install locatation to C:\ or to my documents. Tha you run it from a location you have rights in.

Last edited:
Back