• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

TDI's Blyxa-Blyxa Journal

Original use of Blyxa as far as I know. Great stuff TDI. :D

I do think your tank lacks some kind of transition from front to rear, though.

Dave.

Nice tank you've got there!

How'd you cope with the ammonia spikes from the aquasoil? Did you keep all the fish/shrimp in there since it was added?

Voo said:
Nice tank you've got there!

How'd you cope with the ammonia spikes from the aquasoil? Did you keep all the fish/shrimp in there since it was added?

Hi Voo,

i left the inhabitants in another little tank for one week only.

After a few days after initial setup from near scratch, i did a 50 % waster change every 3 days for about a week. Then i just put everything back in. My fish load is soo small though, and i can't remember the last time i did any water parameter checks. :oops: I have lost a few cardinals, but they do seem to be the larger ones, so are probably getting old. ;)

I was really apprehensive about the AS, but i am a total convert now. It is well worth it.

Dave Spencer said:
Original use of Blyxa as far as I know. Great stuff TDI. :D

I do think your tank lacks some kind of transition from front to rear, though.

Dave.

Thanks Dave.

My thoughts too about the transition, will have to get my thinking cap on. :rolleyes:

a couple of large pieces of redmoor roots in there would most likely look awsome too, and give it a little more scape, rather than just a big carpet of blyxa, which looks great anyway ;) I love the effect

Yes, I reckon some nice hardcsape would give you a midground.

Dave.

I don't think I have ever seen so much Aquasoil in a UK tank either, respect! Just watch those rocks with it though if you are moving them around. You could make a few quid on Blyxa sales as well to fund this project ;)

Agree with the other guys though it needs a hardscape, a half decent hardscape and this tank could look pretty special. Good work so far.

aaronnorth said:
just looking at your reactor, what are the taps for?

One opens up the bypass, and the other one shuts off the flow through the reactor. You can also adjust the flow through the reactor, or just incase you may have too much flow through the reactor, like that is going to happen. :lol: :rolleyes:

George Farmer said:
Looking good, Dan.

I have a load of spare wood lying about at home. When I return you can have a gander and buy me a beer in my local.

Deal. :D

I'll hopefully be doing another complete rescape later in the month, i want to rescape all the rock work, so it's more obtrusive at the front, and adjust the Aquasoil so i'ts more graded too.

So i will have some Blyxa spare, but i'll keep you posted.

hi,

and wow.

my corner tank has a blyxa carpet growing nicely for the last year but suffers so badly every time i split it out and expand it out. you have inspired me to keep going though and finish my more minimal vision. interesting people mention redmoor wood as that is my hardscape.

the cardinals have a great home.

best regards,

John

Hi John,

thanks for the reply.

I'm just in the process off rescaping this tank again, after i just let it grow, Blyxa nearly reaching the surface, which then affected flow, and then BBA growing on most of the plants. Yuck.

My mistake though, there just isn't enough hours in the day. :D

I'm thinking about sumatra wood only scape this time, with Blyxa, some of the rarer crypts and some bushy stems, and maybe adding another power head.

TDI-line said:
When i planted this, alot of the Blxya had been nibbled and stripped. I returned a few assorted fish to my lfs, and i think the Bristlnose catfish was guilty. But now not a stripped plant in sight. :lol:

You know i have the exact same problem. I actually thought it was a deficiency! It can grow great for weeks and then all of a sudden starts looking worse for ware and and bare at the bottom of the stems... I have a pleco as well which i want rid of but the missus loves it so it has to stay :(

TDI-line said:
Hi John,

thanks for the reply.

I'm just in the process off rescaping this tank again, after i just let it grow, Blyxa nearly reaching the surface, which then affected flow, and then BBA growing on most of the plants. Yuck.

My mistake though, there just isn't enough hours in the day. :D

I'm thinking about sumatra wood only scape this time, with Blyxa, some of the rarer crypts and some bushy stems, and maybe adding another power head.

If you want rid of some of that Blyxia i'll donate ;)

Back