TDI's Blyxa - Monolith (with guests appearance by L046).

Discussion in 'Journals' started by TDI-line, 21 Feb 2009.

1. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

Tank: Akva-Stabil Effect line 720, with Effect-line cabinet with doors clad in aluminium.

Volume: 720 Litre., measures 2000 mm x 600 mm x 60 mm.

Filtration: Eheim Pro 3e 2078 + Eheim Pro 3 2075, with JBL piping, (waiting for JBL baskets).

Heating: 300 Watt Hydor in-line heater, with Dennerle Duomat Evolution controller.

CO2: JBL Regulator & Magnetic Shut Off Valve, with Dennerle Evolution PH controller, fed from 2 KG CO2 bottles to in-line Aquamas CO2 reactor.

Lighting: 4 x D+D T5 Razor Light Twin 2 x 39 Watt, with Giesemann Powerchrome Midday 6000 and Aquaflora bulbs.

Circulation: Tunze Nanostream 6045.

Substrate: 120 litres of ADA Aquasoil Amazonia.

Tank decor: 33 KG of Mountain Rock, and 5 pieces of Borneowild Driftwood from Aqua Essentials.

Plants: Aponogeton Madagascariensis, Blyxa Japonica, Cryptocorne Wendtii 'Tropica', Cryptocorne Undulata 'Broad leaves, Pogestemon Helferi, Proserpinaca Palustris 'Cuba', Taxiphyllum Barbieri

Fish: Shoal of Trigonostigma heteromorpha, Ottocinculus, Corydoras sterbai, Caridina japonica, and L046 Hypancistrus Zebra.

I decided to move my zebra plecs into my main tank, they seemed soo bored in a breeding tank, (and not breeding). And the funny thing is, i see so much more of them now, as they bask in the filter's outlet.

So i added driftwood with a little moss just to break up the long distance of the tank too, and this added more hiding places for the zebs.

The mountain rock is big, i may add some mini-landscape rock to add more structure, or remove more blyxa as this does add height to the lawn.

I also have added around 220 wild harlequin rasbora, but have lost quite a few to which i can only put it down to lack of CO2, and that they are not as tolerant as tank breed ones would be.

027.jpg

042.jpg

039.jpg

036.jpg

035.jpg

033.jpg

Gill likes this.
  2. james3200

james3200 Member

Very nice :)

Great shoal of fish there
    How long has this been setup? Any plans for the foreground or are you leaving it bare?

3. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

nice plecs and plant health is excellent for the size of the tank - is CO2 distribution ok or does it cause a few problems?

4. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

This tank looks better everytime I see it, Love the Blyxa scape, shame I can't keep mine alive :( What temp to you keep this tank at??
    Love the L046 hopefully you will get them to breed now in this more natural environment ;) looking great as ever, if you ever want to get rid of some Blyxa I will give yours a try, got some from two members a couple of weeks ago, arrived very badly melted and never recovered :(

5. Thomas McMillan

Thomas McMillan Member

What a beautiful tank! As Paulo said, it looks way better everytime you post a photo.

The shoal of Harlequins look amazing in there, and I'm sure the Plecs do too! You never know, you might look in one day and see lots of little ones clinging to the front glass. ;)

But... 120l of ADA AquaSoil?!?!! Wow.

6. Tony Swinney

Tony Swinney Member

Great looking tank - the shoal looks beautiful with all that space :D

7. gratts

gratts Member

Fantastic stuff :eek:
    Are there enough caves/hidey holes for the zebras?

8. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

hey Dan, looks quality. the stone is rather special too.

i reckon you'd pull off a stunning iwagumi on your next scape, based around blyxa and grasses

9. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

James, It's been setup for around 9 months with the AS, and the harlequins replaced around 60 cardinals within the last 3 weeks.

Aaron, CO2 is on 24/7, and the CO2 checker shows in the green. I have 2 externals and 1 tunze power head, which is great for picking off stray leaves (and harlequins). I will be changing this to a timer soon, so off at night etc.

LD, temp is running at 25c, i was running at around 23c before i put the zebs in. I may reduce this again, but we'll see.

Thomas, Tonser, thank you.

Gratts, yes i had about 10 caves in there, but removed a few as they weren't being used. The rest are hidden in the Blyxa and there is also a hollowed log which one of the alpha males likes.

Mark, yes, blyxa and grasses is what i've got in mind. I need to have a look at the big Iwagumi at TGM to give me some insight in planting and mismatching.

10. altaaffe

altaaffe Member

Looks fantastic as always and really like that rock. As said by some of the others - it really does look great to see a large shoal like that.

11. johnny70

johnny70 Member

STUNNING!!!!!!!!!

Love the massive rock! excellent job

JOHNNY

12. hellohefalump

hellohefalump Member

you are the true king of the blyxa! Love the zebra plecs too, I hope they breed for you.

13. samc

samc Member

i like this alot. flip me i bet those plecs cost a few quid. the rock looks great in concidering it for an iwagumi

14. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

Thanks for the kind replys everyone. :D

15. Tony Swinney

Tony Swinney Member

Hi TDI

I'm just wondering where you got your large shoal from. Was it an LFS, or an internet 'wholesale' place ?

Thanks

Tony

16. wot a rock.

awesome.

your fellow Blyxa brotha,

John

17. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

Hi Tony, i was going to get the shoal of the net, but i explained this to my local MA, they ummed and rrr'd, then they come up with a very close deal, so i went with them as i could pick them up and wouldn't have to worry about couriers etc.

Thanks John. :D

18. Hi,

Just a quick comment about the rocks. I think you should get a third one to make it a true Sanzon Iwagumi (did some reading about this when i did my 20L).

http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2007/02/iwagumi-and-sanzon-iwagumi-aquariums.html

Although i don't envy you trying to tilt those monoliths. :D

Best Regards,

John

19. Aeropars

Aeropars Member

Bagsey some Blyxa cuttings when they go on offer :D:D:D

20. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

Hi John, yes a third rock will be on the cards later on, with a new scape, maybe a kind of layered look with some of the driftwood acting as embankments with grasses too.