• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

TDI's Blyxa - Monolith (with guests appearance by L046).

TDI-line

Tank: Akva-Stabil Effect line 720, with Effect-line cabinet with doors clad in aluminium.

Volume: 720 Litre., measures 2000 mm x 600 mm x 60 mm.

Filtration: Eheim Pro 3e 2078 + Eheim Pro 3 2075, with JBL piping, (waiting for JBL baskets).

Heating: 300 Watt Hydor in-line heater, with Dennerle Duomat Evolution controller.

CO2: JBL Regulator & Magnetic Shut Off Valve, with Dennerle Evolution PH controller, fed from 2 KG CO2 bottles to in-line Aquamas CO2 reactor.

Lighting: 4 x D+D T5 Razor Light Twin 2 x 39 Watt, with Giesemann Powerchrome Midday 6000 and Aquaflora bulbs.

Circulation: Tunze Nanostream 6045.

Substrate: 120 litres of ADA Aquasoil Amazonia.

Tank decor: 33 KG of Mountain Rock, and 5 pieces of Borneowild Driftwood from Aqua Essentials.

Plants: Aponogeton Madagascariensis, Blyxa Japonica, Cryptocorne Wendtii 'Tropica', Cryptocorne Undulata 'Broad leaves, Pogestemon Helferi, Proserpinaca Palustris 'Cuba', Taxiphyllum Barbieri

Fish: Shoal of Trigonostigma heteromorpha, Ottocinculus, Corydoras sterbai, Caridina japonica, and L046 Hypancistrus Zebra.

I decided to move my zebra plecs into my main tank, they seemed soo bored in a breeding tank, (and not breeding). And the funny thing is, i see so much more of them now, as they bask in the filter's outlet.

So i added driftwood with a little moss just to break up the long distance of the tank too, and this added more hiding places for the zebs.

The mountain rock is big, i may add some mini-landscape rock to add more structure, or remove more blyxa as this does add height to the lawn.

I also have added around 220 wild harlequin rasbora, but have lost quite a few to which i can only put it down to lack of CO2, and that they are not as tolerant as tank breed ones would be.

027.jpg

042.jpg

039.jpg

036.jpg

035.jpg

033.jpg

Very nice :)

Great shoal of fish there
How long has this been setup? Any plans for the foreground or are you leaving it bare?

This tank looks better everytime I see it, Love the Blyxa scape, shame I can't keep mine alive :( What temp to you keep this tank at??
Love the L046 hopefully you will get them to breed now in this more natural environment ;) looking great as ever, if you ever want to get rid of some Blyxa I will give yours a try, got some from two members a couple of weeks ago, arrived very badly melted and never recovered :(

What a beautiful tank! As Paulo said, it looks way better everytime you post a photo.

The shoal of Harlequins look amazing in there, and I'm sure the Plecs do too! You never know, you might look in one day and see lots of little ones clinging to the front glass. ;)

But... 120l of ADA AquaSoil?!?!! Wow.

hey Dan, looks quality. the stone is rather special too.

i reckon you'd pull off a stunning iwagumi on your next scape, based around blyxa and grasses

James, It's been setup for around 9 months with the AS, and the harlequins replaced around 60 cardinals within the last 3 weeks.

Aaron, CO2 is on 24/7, and the CO2 checker shows in the green. I have 2 externals and 1 tunze power head, which is great for picking off stray leaves (and harlequins). I will be changing this to a timer soon, so off at night etc.

LD, temp is running at 25c, i was running at around 23c before i put the zebs in. I may reduce this again, but we'll see.

Thomas, Tonser, thank you.

Gratts, yes i had about 10 caves in there, but removed a few as they weren't being used. The rest are hidden in the Blyxa and there is also a hollowed log which one of the alpha males likes.

Mark, yes, blyxa and grasses is what i've got in mind. I need to have a look at the big Iwagumi at TGM to give me some insight in planting and mismatching.

wot a rock.

awesome.

your fellow Blyxa brotha,

John

Hi Tony, i was going to get the shoal of the net, but i explained this to my local MA, they ummed and rrr'd, then they come up with a very close deal, so i went with them as i could pick them up and wouldn't have to worry about couriers etc.

Thanks John. :D

Hi,

Just a quick comment about the rocks. I think you should get a third one to make it a true Sanzon Iwagumi (did some reading about this when i did my 20L).

The most common iwagumi style is called sanzon iwagumi. Sanzon means "three pillar" in Japanese and these aquascapes make use of three rocks, with two smaller rocks and one larger rock. According to JAANUS, this term was first used in the 11th century Japanese garden treatise "Sakuteiki." The grouping of stones comes from Buddhism; the central stone is called the chuusonskei (or the big Buddha) and the smaller flanking stones are called kyoujiseki (or attendant stones). The kyoujiseki are often tilted or pointed towards the chuusonskei as if bowing down to it. The chuusonskei is almost always positioned according to the Golden Rule.

http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2007/02/iwagumi-and-sanzon-iwagumi-aquariums.html

Although i don't envy you trying to tilt those monoliths. :D

Best Regards,

John

Hi John, yes a third rock will be on the cards later on, with a new scape, maybe a kind of layered look with some of the driftwood acting as embankments with grasses too.

Back