• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

TDI's Blyxa - Monolith (with guests appearance by L046).

I like it :D
how come you went with wild harlaquins? good quality captive breds will be cheaper, more hardy and just as colourfull?

Any issues getting the Zebras to feed with all the shrimp going after the food?

I have 9 Zebras, but I still keep them in a net with moss/wood caves in part of the tank to make sure they get plenty of food.

Slow growing as it is.

I chose wood as I can make plenty of nice caves in that.
Try some gloss along the front there.

It goes well with the Blyxa.
I'd go more wood and less/no rock for the scape

Wood can be dramatic and used in some very neat ways
You can also drill into it to make caves and plants attach well etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr

awesome tank and a lovely shoal of zebras
have you had any trouble with the plecs eating the shrimps or are they ok to mix,i,ve got one in a tank at work and would like to bring her home.
many thanks paul.

Hi Mr Luke,
i went with wild harlequins as this is what my local MA stocked, i wish i had sourced tank bred ones though.

Hello Tom,
i'm feeding twice a day, once during the day so all the harlequins and shrimps get full, then when lights out so hopefully the zebs get a mouth full. But i am feeding a little heavily too, just too make sure. And no food is ever present the next day.
I am thinking about altering the scape again, and may take your advice with the wood and glosso, and probably remove the corys too.

Thanks Sam. ;)

Hi Forest, thanks, and no problem with zebs eating shrimps.

Love this scape, reminds of the scenery in the film "Thin Red Line". This tank inspired my efforts, I wanted to make a dense plantation with the hope of breeding tetras in the main tank and having some fry survive in the jungle. Like your first version I have some C.helferi in the blyxa to add height but it's being overwhelmed by the blyxa onslaught. Have you had any spontaneous fry in your set up ?

Hi TRBO,

many thanks, it's very nice to hear this tank inspired you. I'm flattered.

The only fry i ever had was from my Cory Sterbai, and the small mutant shrimps which breed all the time.

I've now stripped down this scape, and am just getting ready to take some initial pics for hopefully a long term scape with Blyxa and E. parvula. The new scape does look a little different from the norm, but know only houses zebra plecs and denisonii babrbs, and a few botia striata.

regards,

Dan.

Back