• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

TDI's Blyxa - Riverbank (picture update 19/5/09)

TDI-line

Tank: Akva-Stabil Effect line 720, with Effect-line cabinet with doors clad in aluminium.

Volume: 720 Litre, measures 2000 mm x 600 mm x 60 mm.

Filtration: Eheim Pro 3e 2078 + Eheim Pro 3 2075, with JBL piping, (waiting for JBL baskets).

Heating: 300 Watt Hydor in-line heater, with Dennerle Duomat Evolution controller.

CO2: JBL Regulator & Magnetic Shut Off Valve, with Dennerle Evolution PH controller, fed from 2 KG CO2 bottles to in-line Aquamas CO2 reactor.

Lighting: 4 x D+D T5 Razor Light Twin 2 x 39 Watt, with Giesemann Powerchrome Midday 6000 and Aquaflora bulbs.

Circulation: Tunze Nanostream 6045.

Substrate: 120 litres of ADA Aquasoil Amazonia.

Tank decor: Tropica Bogwood, Borneowild Driftwood and Seiryu rock from Aqua Essentials.

Plants: Aponogeton Madagascariensis, Blyxa Japonica, Cryptocorne Wendtii 'Tropica', Cryptocorne Undulata 'Broad leaves, Eleocharis, Pogestemon Helferi, Staurogyne sp.

Fish: Botia Striata, Ottocinculus, L046 Hypancistrus Zebra, Cardinina Japonica.

I decided on a slightly different scape from the norm, trying to keep a low eye level perspective over the 2 metre's of the tank. With a heavy shoal for the upper eye level, eventually.

I used a bank of Tropica bogwood (from previous Aquadecor pieces), and Borneowild Driftwood which is identical in colouration, and this held most of the aquasoil back, keeping two planting levels. The high ground contains Blyxa Japonica, and the foreground is E. Parvula. Crypts, Pogestemon Helferi and Staurogyne sp. have been used to fill in connecting areas or as solitary specimens. Three large A.Madagascariensis are growing amongst the seriyu rock

I've realised i'd been overdosing with Excel on my previous scape, dosing for the week at water change time. This most likely wiped out my previous shoal of Harlequins, and my latest 15 denisonii barbs. Lesson learnt.

A few stems may be added later or some Windelov ferns, but this will change the overall look immediately. I did think about adding more rock, to the high ground, but then this i feel would be back to the Iwagumi look.

But I'm open to suggestions for a new shoal, but i do like Saintly's rummynose tetras.

The tank has been setup for two weeks in it's present scape.

Any of course please add any comments, good and bad.

005.jpg

040.jpg

010.jpg

025.jpg

027.jpg

Re: TDI's Blyxa - Riverbank

now that's going to look quality.

hope your still up for a feature in the future...... 8)

saintly said:
now that's going to look quality.

hope your still up for a feature in the future...... 8)

Thanks mate.

And yes, still up for that Mark.

But it just looks so empty at the moment with no swimming fish. :lol:

wow....... :wideyed: ..gives us newbies something to aspire to...
neil

Looks lovely and luxuriant already but I think it's too flat. You need some height at the back IMHO. Maybe just one group of specimen plants at about 2/3rds along? Some large swords maybe or something more slender?

i'd be careful not "take away" from the simplicity of whats already going on.

ed's right it requires something, i like the inclusion of crypts. what would be nice is the blyxa background, grass foreground, planted in such a way, you see sneak peeks of the wood, then a densely planted patch of crypts to the rule of thirds, behind the wood. maybe becketi?.....

it still looks cool now, but tweaked could be special 8) i'd just use 3 species

Lookin' good, Dan! I wish you'd re-size your images to 800 pixels along the longest edge though - my broadband isn't too quick.

I think some more height would benefit. The wood is nice, but is too flat IMHO. The tank is worthy of some more dominating features.

Pop over sometime and I have a load of wood spare you can borrow for a few months...

Spare time depending, I could pop over and we could have a minor re-scape together sometime, if you're interested? I miss my big tank and this makes a nice substitute! :D

Hi James, many thanks. Probably go through around 2KG per month, on drip feed 24/7.

Thanks Neil, i do consider myself a newbie to plant keeping still. You live and learn.

Thanks Ed and Nick, good plants suggested, or maybe a C.Balansae or Aponogeton longiplumulosus.

Hi George, pics have been resized, so hopefully there ok. My Macbook resizes on UKAPS automatically, so i can't tell how they are for other users. Yes, that sounds great about you popping over, we'll sort something out shortly. :D

Aaron, it all started from probably around 10 stems. :lol:

Looking great Dan :) Maybe a more severe bank from the back might give it more heigh? Or perhaps some undulation in the substrate giving different heights to the blyxa in places?

Not sure if you've made it to TGM recently, but I was in there yesterday. Their iwagumi scape has a big mound of blxa, growing like a big rounded hedge. I've never seen blyxa so tall! Definately worth a look for inspiration!

Nice rescape Dan, tank is looking great :) can't imagine how it looks in person a tank that size!!! :wideyed: :wideyed:
Once you get a carpet of some sort at the front it will look even better :) What happened to the large rocks?

Hi,

Looking mature for just 2 weeks, another good savannah, that wood looks really nice. I find tall tanks are a real nightmare both practically and scape wise.

Will look awsome with a nice big shoal, what sort of numbers are you contemplating (200 x £ 1.75 = :D ) ? I'm really pleased with my ember tetras but I guess they could look washed out on a lighter background.

All the best T

:wideyed: Monster tank

Looks great Dan, look forward to seeing more pics as it matures :)

Hi Dan,
love it mate,i was only saying yesterday to steve uk that when i redo my setup i will use loads of blyxa as the main plant,its my favourite plant at the moment,
i shall follow this one with interset,
regards john.

Thanks again Mark, trying to keep it simple, was one of my main goals. But i like the idea of glimpses of wood.

Cheers Steve, i've not been to TGM yet, but i bet there's is amazing.

Thanks Paulo, the mountain rock is sitting in my garage at the moment, ready for any future scapes. ;)

Many thanks TRBO, i'm probably going to go for True Rummynose tetras, they've got some at my LFS (MA@peterborough), and they do look stunning. But will probably add around 30 for the first month, just to play it safe, as losing 15 Denisonii barbs cost me £150... :( I'm glad the wife doesn't read this. :arghh:

Cheers Ejack. :D

Hi John, thanks mate, Blyxa Japoonica is my favourite, but i think that may be obvious :rolleyes: . I may have to try the other Blyxa species too.

Back