• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

TDI's Blyxa - Riverbank (picture update 19/5/09)

Ok, a quick update after one month with some new pics, (and i'm already thinking about the next scape).

All the plants are growing in well, and i'm finding the E.Parvula hard work, some algae issues on the crypt leaves, but the Blyxa always grows well for me. :D Also the three Madagascan lace plants have grown very well to giant proportions.

Oh, and 100 Rummynose tetras added.

061.jpg

062.jpg

063.jpg

064.jpg

065.jpg

071.jpg

069.jpg

Re: TDI's Blyxa - Riverbank

Joecoral said:
Looking great! Love the laceplants! Des the next scape you're thinking about have blyxa in it by any chance too? :lol:

Thanks Joe.

I don't think i could afford to plant this tank in a completley different species of plant, but i may add a background of colour next time. :lol:

Tank is looking great Dan :) shame my Blyxa is just disapearing, any ideas??? other plants seem fine!!

Its going to look even better when you have the front of the tank fully covered :)

Re: TDI's Blyxa - Riverbank

TDI-line said:
Hi John, thanks mate, Blyxa Japoonica is my favourite, but i think that may be obvious :rolleyes: . I may have to try the other Blyxa species too.

I found the larger one, Blyxa Aubertii, grew twice as big as the descriptions online so i took it out of my quite tall tank in the end as it didnt quite relate to the Japonica in the way i wanted.

Blyxa echinosperma i've been told is exceedingly similar to Japonica.

Best Regards,

John (your Blyxa brother)

I like the way the textures of the plants seem to compliment this, and the way the Crypts are in contrast to it.

As for the lace plant....I`ve never seen a scape with one in that it added something to, but that is just me I guess. :?

Tank is looking good, though. :D

Dave.

SteveUK said:
Looks great Dan! I love how the wood barrier doesn't seperate too much, and the blyxa sort of absorbs it :)

Thanks Steve, but the Blyxa absorbs everything, eventually. :D

Tonser said:
That looks lovely Dan, and those lace plants !!! You'll be making your own nets from them soon :lol:

Tony

Thanks Steve, yep i'll be selling those Madagascan fishing nets very shortly, with a free shrimp or snail. :lol:

LondonDragon said:
Tank is looking great Dan :) shame my Blyxa is just disapearing, any ideas??? other plants seem fine!!

Its going to look even better when you have the front of the tank fully covered :)

Thanks Paulo, not sure why your Blxya isn't doing well, maybe it's all those regular water changes everyone keeps harking on about. I'll stick to my one 40% change a month. ;)

hijac said:
TDI-line said:
Hi John, thanks mate, Blyxa Japoonica is my favourite, but i think that may be obvious :rolleyes: . I may have to try the other Blyxa species too.

I found the larger one, Blyxa Aubertii, grew twice as big as the descriptions online so i took it out of my quite tall tank in the end as it didnt quite relate to the Japonica in the way i wanted.

Best Regards,

Thanks again Blyxa brother, were did you get your Aubertii from btw.

soton_dave said:
STUNNING,just love the simplicity of it.

Cheers Dave.

Dave Spencer said:
I like the way the textures of the plants seem to compliment this, and the way the Crypts are in contrast to it.

As for the lace plant....I`ve never seen a scape with one in that it added something to, but that is just me I guess. :?

Tank is looking good, though. :D

Dave.

Thanks Dave. Yeah, those lace plants are a one of a kind, i thought i'd give it a try, as Amano would ;)

Goodygumdrops said:
Blyxa looks great against the wood,especially that first pic.

Thankyou Goody. :D

samc said:
tank still looking great. like the rummies too :)

are you still going to put a taller plant in somewhere? i think it would really finnish it off great

Thanks Sam, those Rummies are great, one of the best shoals i have ever had. And no plans for a taller plant, this was just how i imagined it to be. But these will be taller plants for the next scape.

JamesM said:
Looking great, Dan :)

I know. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tanks coming on well too James. :D

TDI-line said:
hijac said:
TDI-line said:

Best Regards,

Thanks again Blyxa brother, were did you get your Aubertii from btw.

Erm, an online shop in the uk who's name escapes me. If i wasnt aiming for a totally minimal Blyxa meadow id have been tempted to leave it in and let it grow huge as it was by the time the biggest had got to around 15 leaves it was already the height of my tank and being blown over by the filter outflow. I wonder how much of a giant blyxa bush it would make after a few months?

Best Regards,
John

Erm, an online shop in the uk who's name escapes me. If i wasnt aiming for a totally minimal Blyxa meadow id have been tempted to leave it in and let it grow huge as it was by the time the biggest had got to around 15 leaves it was already the height of my tank and being blown over by the filter outflow. I wonder how much of a giant blyxa bush it would make after a few months?

Best Regards,
John

Cheers John.

I'm sure the name will come back to you. :D

TDI-line said:

Best Regards,
John

Cheers John.

I'm sure the name will come back to you. :D

may have been plantsalive.

http://www.plantsalive.co.uk/index.php? ... ductId=438

Hi Dan,i love it mate that blyxa is awesome, the way it flows the whole thing just goes right through the scape perfectly,i think the crypts look quite natural just popping through like that,
regards john.

john starkey said:
Hi Dan,i love it mate that blyxa is awesome, the way it flows the whole thing just goes right through the scape perfectly,i think the crypts look quite natural just popping through like that,
regards john.

Many thanks John.

nelson said:
tank looks great,as usual :D .
that is one mad looking cat.is it on drugs :lol:

Cheers Nelson. I think the cat is on drugs, or is very pissed. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back