• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

TDS guidelines for shrimp

Hi all,
The top gliding ones look like Planaria, but the bottom ones look very Leech like. On Planaria the head usually has two obvious eye spots.

cheers Darrel

So, does this mean that if I dont see the two eye dots then these probably arent planaria? I'm presuming I would be able to see them in these photos?

Thanks

Those are rhabdocoelas, perfectly safe, normaly are a sign of good water quality. If there's to much, you've must been overfeeding. I've read also that if there are to much out of the substrate, it can be lacking oxygen in the bottom.

Hi all,
The dot guys definitely seem to be the same as the gliding sort
Those are rhabdocoelas,
Yes I think you are right, and I think these are much less susceptible to pesticides like Fenbendazole.

There are two orders of flatworms that live in fresh water, the <"Tricladida"> and <"Rhabdocoela">. I usually get <"Dugesia"> (Tricladida) in the tanks, and they are killed by Panacur.
the most distinctive feature they have seems to be three pale yellow dots at the rear of their bodies
I assume they are ovaries, as they have really reduced internal organs.
I've never seen them before, are they normal in a tank?
Apparently they are quite common.

cheers Darrel

Those are rhabdocoelas.

Hi all,Yes I think you are right, and I think these are much less susceptible to pesticides like Fenbendazole.

Thanks Imak and Darrel,

This is very helpful and would explain why they haven't succumbed to pretty much a triple dose of the 'no planaria' product I was using.

Can I ask if anyone knows if this will live peacefully alongside shrimp? I had been reading lots of advice about planaria being potentially problematic for shrimp. And so I was keen to get rid of them.

I'm hoping that the triple dose of the ' no planaria' betel nut palm extract stuff hasn't thrown the tank out of whack. I've done a 95% water change following the treatment, but it amounts to a lot of chopping and changing in the past 3-4 days and the plants where looking a little sorry for themselves.

Hi all,
Can I ask if anyone knows if this will live peacefully alongside shrimp?
I don't know, but a quick look <"on shrimp forums"> suggests that they aren't a problem, but I haven't had any experience of them.

You could try trapping them. A small square of flat rock should encourage them to hide under it during the day, and you can then just take it out and wash them off under the hot tap.

cheers Darrel

A small square of flat rock should encourage them to hide under it during the day, and you can then just take it out and wash them off under the hot tap.

Thanks Darrel, I'll try this and see if i can thin out the numbers, I guess that things will find a balance at some point. and I'll just take them out as best I can in the mean time.

Cheers

having made peace with these being rhabdocoelas and therefore probably harmless... they now seem to be completely gone...

I think I overdosed 'no planaria' to very foolish levels, and I'm now a bit worried that I have saturated everything in the tank with it. I had a spike in N02, which seems to be gone now after a couple of water changes, but the tank is peppered with undissolved bits of 'no planaria'.

Does anyone have any idea of whether this will be ok? I realise its a bit of a vague question, but any experience with overdosing 'no planaria' and whether it's a concern or not would be much appreciated.

Any tips for removing undissolved specks (of anything) would be much appreciated, gravel vac isn't cutting it, and I'm wondering if there's a better way

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi all,
Any tips for removing undissolved specks (of anything) would be much appreciated, gravel vac isn't cutting it, and I'm wondering if there's a better way
You could try running a stronger filter with some floss etc inside. that should trap the finer bits. You may need to stir the tank water up to get the bits into suspension, and watch out for any "by-catch" shrimps.
Does anyone have any idea of whether this will be ok? I realise its a bit of a vague question, but any experience with overdosing 'no planaria' and whether it's a concern or not would be much appreciated.
I haven't used "No Planaria", but this paper suggests that the active agent(s) (the Betel Palm is Arecha catechu) are water soluble: <"Phytochemical Screening, and Evaluation of the Toxicity, Antimicrobial and Anthelmintic Properties of the Different Extracts from the Air-dried Seeds of Areca catechu"> so presumably the small bits that are left will continue to leach active ingredients until they are all in solution.

If the shrimps look OK? I wouldn't worry too much about the bits, I might just up the water change volume.

cheers Darrel

If the shrimps look OK? I wouldn't worry too much about the bits, I might just up the water change volume.

Thanks Darrell.

I didn't have shrimps in the tank whilst dosing, as even though the product is 'shrimp safe' I thought it best to hold off on buying any livestock.

however, last Thursday I put five amanos in, and unfortunately I now have four left. One died 48 hours after adding them to the tank, in the following way, which was a bit sad and worrying

-> lethargic - slow to no movement, turned pink and stationary apart from front appendages, which fanned away franticly, passed away over a 6 hour period on the substrate amongst some plants.

I couldn't think of any way to help this lady or gent, so I left them undisturbed hoping for a recovery, and removed them when they had died.

I'm not sure what to think about this, as the other four seem ok and active, and also, at least one seems to have moulted and survived so far.

I did have some non-zero nitrite readings in the range between <0.3 ppm and 0.3 ppm (according to a tetra liquid test), however I have been dosing prime in response to this, perhaps it's this in combination with stress from transport and the new tank. ( I think possibly this could be down to small snails and flatworms dying following the no planaria overdose, as previously nitrites had been zero for two weeks -ish )

nitrites are back to 0 now and I have done some filter maintenance rinsing media and swapping floss for new stuff.

Acclimation wise for the amanos I did this:
I tested GH, KH, TDS in the tank and the bag, and they where similar. then I drip acclimated them over about an hour until I had doubled the volume of water in the bag. one thing I didn't do which I realise in retrospect I should have done is make a little solution of some bag water and a drop or two of prime, and syringe that in to the bag when I got home with the shrimp.

Does anyone have any advice on whether to be worried about this death, and whether to hold off adding more livestock at the end of the week? (I was planning on getting around 8-10 celesial danios, and possibly some cherry shrimp, and 3 small ottos depending on whether that is or isn't too much stuff in one go)

also, does that acclimation sound ok (for shrimp)?

Darrel, I've read that you yourself (and others) err on the side of getting fish out of the bag as quickly as practical once temperature is equalised? so I will follow this for the fish, but shrimp I was going to take much longer.

Many Thanks,

Tom

Hi all,
I've read that you yourself err on the side of getting fish out of the back as quickly as practical once temperature is equalised? so I will follow this for the fish, but shrimp I was going to take much longer.
Certainly for fish I try and get them out of the bag, and into the tank, pretty rapidly. I like them to swim out under their own steam ideally.

I'm not sure with shrimps, I've only ever owned Cherry shrimps and they are pretty tough.
One died 48 hours after adding them to the tank, in the following way, which was a bit sad and worrying

-> lethargic - slow to no movement, turned pink and stationary apart from front appendages, which fanned away franticly, passed away over a 6 hour period on the substrate amongst some plants.

I couldn't think of any way to help this lady or gent, so I left them undisturbed hoping for a recovery, and removed them when they had died.
Because the other four shrimps seem OK, my suspicion would be that wasn't the effect of the "NoPlanaria", but I don't think there is any way of knowing for sure.
and whether to hold of adding more livestock at the end of the week? (I was planning on getting around 8-10 celesial danios, and possibly some cherry shrimp, and 3 small ottos depending on whether that is or isn't too much stuff in one go)
They are all small, so they aren't going to add much bio-load, but I wouldn't add them in one hit, unless your tank has a large plant mass with some floating plants?

cheers Darrel

They are all small, so they aren't going to add much bio-load, but I wouldn't add them in one hit, unless your tank has a large plant mass with some floating plants?

Thanks, I have some floaters and also some ludwigia that reaches the surface, I think the tank has a reasonable plant mass, at least in relation to the tank volume, but it's a 50 litre so neither plant mass or water volume are objectively substantial.

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads...th-opinions-and-trimming-advice-please.47929/

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/50-litre.47865/

these posts have some older pictures of the tank about 4 weeks ago, so it's this much, plus maybe 20% more growth on the plants seen here, and also the addition of floaters which occupy maybe 20-30% of the water surface, although I was hoping to thin these out at some point.

Thanks

Hi all,
plus maybe 20% more growth on the plants seen here, and also the addition of floaters which occupy maybe 20-30% of the water surface, although I was hoping to thin these out at some point.
Yes, that should be fine.

I probably wouldn't thin the floaters, or prune the plants, for a week or so after you've introduced the fish.

cheers Darrel

Back