TDS readings

I hope this is in the right place. I took a reading straight from the kitchen tap and got 265ppm. I then took a reading from the drinking water part of the tap that goes through an in-line Brita filter and got 185ppm. Any ideas on what the filter is actually removing. It’s not much but certainly something?
The meter is a H&M aquaPro.

Konsa

Hi
The TDS is every ion present in the water.The actual reading is irrelevant as I dont know what exactly is in it .Actual reading matters only if U are adding minerals to RO water for examle in shrimp keeping.
Regards Konsa

dw1305

Expert
Hi all,
Any ideas on what the filter is actually removing. It’s not much but certainly something?
I've never used a Brita filter, but it looks like it has an ion exchange resin. Judging from the <"Brita FAQ"> think it is pre-loaded with potassium (K), so it will exchange a Ca++ ion for two K+ ions. If you have hard water it will pretty soon be exhausted.

Because it has reduced conductivity it must have sequestered an ion as well, this could either be a cation or an anion. This would be via a DI resin which will swap a hydrogen (H+) ion for cation (like Na+ or Ca++), or a hydroxyl (OH-) ion for an anion (Cl-, SO4-- etc). Add together a H+ and a OH-, you have H2O and you've reduced conductivity.

Sounds like it is probably a <"mixed bed resin">.

cheers Darrel