• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Teaching the younger generation

Ajm200

Took my 9 year old to the LFS on Saturday and was really amazed to hear him ask

For ottos
Ask how long they had been in the shop?
What they eat? Have you seen them eat that?
When did they last eat?
Are there any fish they shouldn't be kept with?
What size tank do they need?
How long can they stay in that bag?
Will they be warm enough if we take a long time to get home?
How many can I keep in a 90 tank?

He also looked at mountain minnows and asked what temperate means? Then said he wants a betta so could they stay together minnows if like cool water?

I wish more children would ask questions and then maybe less goldfish would end up swimming tiny tanks.

He's also planning his plant list but £2.50 per week means he makes do with my surplus ;)

Felt so proud of him.

Last edited:
A true aquarist!

These are indeed qeustions many addults don't even think of asking. :thumbup: Sweet kid, he obviuosly has a lot of love and wants to care.. You can also feel proud of yourself AJM, love is usualy not what they learn in school, that's what they learn at home and get from family heritage.. :)

schools should teach some basics

I totaly agree but it still has a long way to go.. imho kids pick up very quick even the silliest things we don't se danger in can have rather major consequences.. Like taking kids to a circus or a dolfinarium to be entertained by animals doing tricks.. See the documantary Blackfish (maybe with your kids).. My best friends little son, he was about 5 or 6 at the time asked me to download an edducative game staring Poeh Bear.. I did and checked the game if it worked as should before i wanted to burn it on cd and give. I was amezed by the narators intro.. There was Poeh Bears stuppidity and small brain pointed out several times.. Honestly i was shocked about it and threw it away, didn't give it to him.. Why would you learn small kids at such age that animals are stuppid and have a small brain?? As far as i know the Poeh bears stories are still not reviewed and probably accepted as funny, normal and edducative.
http://www.poohsoc.org.uk/Archive/Papers/JS.html

Back