• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

teak root mini

Finally received and installed the RO unit so filled the little thing up with water:

BwDU5.jpg

dReQA.jpg

WsKgm.jpg

Ammonia and nitrates are high at the moment so going to wait a few weeks for them to fall back down before planting...

Got some Hemianthus Callitrichoides, Eleocharis Parvula and Acicularis and am all planted and CO2 connected now :)

Planting a nano sure requires a knack, everything is so fiddly and the plants kept coming out with the tweezers:
w6Pr6.jpg

All filled and ready to watch grow:
uSVe5.jpg

Looking smart
But plleeeeeease get a solid background and move the co2 def to the left side of glass, please :)

Also trim the hairgrass right down low...like really low

Thank you :)

nayr88 said:
Looking smart
But plleeeeeease get a solid background and move the co2 def to the left side of glass, please :)

Also trim the hairgrass right down low...like really low

Thanks, what sort of background do you suggest? Black?

I've trimmed the hair grass down low, although the hairgrass at the back is acicularis and at the front it's parvula. Also The Green Machine in this videorecommend trimming only the roots if the hairgrass is to grow tall.

At the moment I'm doing:
Light 6 hours (1pm-7pm)
CO2 7 hours (11am-6pm)

Ferts:
ADA Brighty K (daily half a pump
ADA Step 1 (daily half a pump)

Water change:
40% daily - (remineralized RO water)

Am I doing the right things?

All looks about right. Nayr is right about trimming eleocharis, trim it right to the ground first, these leaves will rot eventually anyway as it is emersed growth. Later in the areas where you want it to grow taller trim it less, the rest where you want it short once carpeted needs to be trimmed like your garden lawn every 4-6 weeks.
Hope this helps :thumbup:

Trimmed the Eleocharis back (it grows fast) and glad I did it too. I see what you guys were talking about, some of the existing growth is melting away.

Here's the current state of the tank. Dosing Step 1 and Brighty K (stupid name) daily. Can't believe the price of those two bottles (must cost a fortune maintaining a large ADA tank on ADA ferts!)
Jn3md.jpg

At what point do I need to trim the HC?
How often do I need to trim the Eleocharis and HC?

Otherwise it's looking good, stats are:
NO2: 0 mg/l
NH4: 0.5 mg/l
pH: 6.5
gH: 6
kH: 3

You have still left eleocharis too long. Trim ir right to the ground. Leave 1cm max. Old leaves will just attract algae.
With HC i cant give 100% confident advice as havent grown it much. Trim it in couple weeks for the first time. If you can trim dieyng growth as well. Its a small tank so easy to stay on top of maintenance.
Later you will see how plants behave and feel when they need to be trimmed.
Pity a lot of new guys didnt introduce themselves to everyone during ADC meet ;)
Good luck.

Piece-of-fish said:
You have still left eleocharis too long. Trim ir right to the ground. Leave 1cm max. Old leaves will just attract algae.

Wow, that low? Alright, I'll do that.

Piece-of-fish said:
Pity a lot of new guys didnt introduce themselves to everyone during ADC meet ;)

Hey, I was watching Jim and taking pictures! You were there? What did you think of Jim's scape?

His volcano is indeed superb - he gets better with each tank he does. One of my favorites of his was the large Iwagumi he did in the current angel tank.

I trimmed the eleocharis right down on my tank:
Q2ouL.jpg

I just took readings today:
NH4: 0 to 0.25 mg/l
NO3: 0 mg/l

Now I'm using RO water and doing 50% water changes every, single day but surely I shouldn't be at 0 mg/l NO3?

leonroy said:
I just took readings today:
NH4: 0 to 0.25 mg/l
NO3: 0 mg/l

Now I'm using RO water and doing 50% water changes every, single day but surely I shouldn't be at 0 mg/l NO3?

Hi Leonroy,

ADA green brighty step 1 and brighty K don't contain any nitrate if I recall. They keep water column dosing quite lean and rely on the aqua soil heavily to supply most of the macro nutrients. Also, hobby grade test kits for NO3 are notoriously inaccurate so you probably want to take any readings with a pinch of salt, even with laboratory grade equipment, I think it is still very difficult to get accurate measurements.

Depending on how long after you did a water change, that might also be a slight factor as any trace of NO3 would have diffused from the soil.

I'm loving the setup by the way, and eagerly awaiting updates on the 210g behemoth! :thumbup:

and never trust an NO3 test kit (unless it's a lab kit). The ones of the shelf are pretty much worthless.

nice pics though! :thumbup:

Some of the leaves on the HC (Cuba) are yellowing slightly and melting away, is there anything the tank might be deficient or imbalanced in?

Back