• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Temperature as limiting factor

Yo-han

I got a nano cube which is unheated. Although water parameters and fertilization are kept the same (90% water change so quite stable). I do notice plant growth slowed down lately. Not in all plants, M. umbrosum seems to grow just as fast, as does the mosses. But all Rotala species and Persicaria and Staurogyne slowed down. I increased CO2 a little but this made no difference. So I wondered whether at 18-21 degree temperature could be the limiting factor.

If so can I compensate with more light or more CO2 or anything? And is it risky for running into algae problems or dying plants (not as far as I can notice although the Staurogyne looks a little less pretty)?

At low temperature enzymes are slower or stop working all together. Even though the gas dissolution is improved. Low temps hurt algae as well.

Cheers

most plants fair better in cooler water, 18-21 wont be limiting growth. My 60 in the sig is room temp, mostly 18-20 degrees. More plant mass = more flow, co2 and ferts needed ....?

Plant mass didn't changed, I trimmed in the mean time. I increased CO2 to be sure but no difference.

At low temperature enzymes are slower or stop working all together. Even though the gas dissolution is improved. Low temps hurt algae as well.

Cheers

Are there ways to compensate? More ferts, more CO2, more light?

Can't you just put a compact heater in there or am I missing something? There's some tiny heaters on the market.

Our heater is set at 21 ish but our tank right now is sat at 24.2 as the 20 kW log burners is raging. But in the mornings the room this week has dropped to 12 so I've no chance of removing my heater but hey... I'm saving electric twice with the fire going haha.:)

Back