• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

"Temporary Insanity", 60 gallon build

5.13.15 Update-

Spent all morning Saturday tying 3/4 of a gallon of moss onto the wood. I think I need another gallon or gallon and a half to finish it and the rocks. :) It amazed me how much that one step changed the feel and appearance of the whole set up. Also, the hardscape layout plan may have changed too. After randomly laying a couple pieces down horizontally instead of vertically to keep the moss away from the lights I was pleasantly surprised and figured I'd give it a go.

Still running 70ish ppm NO3 and 9ish ppm PO4, dosed twice a week. Everything's happy and growing.

003_2.jpg

004_2.jpg

005_3.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Thank you Alexander. It's still got a ways to go before it's time for the final aquascaping. I need to get some more wood, get everything mossed up and arrange the epiphytes before giving it some time to mature before finalizing everything. Hopefully that will only take a couple more months. There are a couple species of stems held down by rocks behind the wood. It'll be interesting to see how they respond to that sort of treatment.

Interesting way of doing things...for me it'd be pushing delayed gratification to its limits, but I suppose the journey is all part of the fun...anyway it looks great even tho' there's a ways to go...

I'm with you Tim. Every time I lay on the couch and look at the tank I want to dump a bunch of shrimp and fish in there. It's not been easy to resist that temptation, let me tell you! I know it will all be worth it though when everything is finally in place and growing. I may toss a bunch of random stems in there just to see what happens. If nothing else that would help to assuage some of my curiosity.

Last edited:
8.26.16-

Update time! I was finally released from cryogenic stasis (my head decided it had had enough and broke, which got tossed in the psych ward for a little while), got married, moved, and got a new job. The original tank seen in the previous pics got chipped along the bottom seam during moving and I don't trust my DIY skills enough to replace the pane and live in a 2nd floor apartment. Since I had to replace the tank anyway, I figured it would be wise to upgrade so I got the 80 gallon version made by the same company. That'll give me an extra 4 inches of vertical space to play with. I also cherry picked a few more nice pieces of spiderwood when the store I work at got their last shipment. Gotta love it when you get two giant boxes of the stuff to pick through! No pics yet as the tank's on backorder and the wood's soaking at the moment.

The past year and a half has been full of ups and downs and I've found myself lacking motivation/inspiration so any boosts/support would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Phil

You survived so give yourself a well earned pat on the back. Put some hardscape together until you get something that makes you happy inside. Remember to smile.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks Lindy, I appreciate it! The wood's soaking as I type this. <3 Now if the damned tank will just get here...

Impatience is one of my virtues too lol...

Beautiful original scape in your 60 gallon, nice to know there are other people that feel like throwing their tank out of an upstairs windows at times... You have to put so much work into maintaining a tank that if you are tired/busy/feeling crap is not easy so a break from it all is sometimes the best thing! Good luck with the new project ☺

Captain's Log 10/4/16-

Thank you for the kind words everyone!

Well, the new tank and care package from Seachem arrived. With the nano reef taking up valuable real estate on the big stand (needed the light hanger) while I searched for an appropriate and affordable stand and light the plant tank build was on hold for a while. I'm happy to report that the reef has been relocated and the new 80 gallon has been put up on the stand and filled to continue soaking the wood. As happy as I am to have that step completed, I think I'm even happier about getting the mosquito bordello/outdoor wood-soaking tub emptied.

The plan is still the same as before; get as much Java Moss as possible tied to the wood and let it establish while waiting for the upcoming Aquavitro tissue culture plants to become available. Once that happens it's game on.

Deep Blue Professional series 48x24x16 rimless 80 gallon. They certainly know how to pack a tank for shipping!
034_3.jpg

035_3.jpg

Overlord approved
043_1.jpg

Extremely generous gift package from Seachem
097.jpg

Mosquito Bordello
100.jpg

We have wood!
102.jpg

Gratuitous nano reef shot. Please forgive the haze, it had just been re-homed.
099.jpg

Thanks for watching,
Phil

Looks like a great collection of gear to start off with!

Back